What's new

Anaerobic Aging Poll

Do you age airtight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been aging my cigars airtight for a couple of years now. First out of necessity because 1. I found that large airtight tupperdoors were more consistent and 2. I have about 20 of them and to burp them one by one would take too much of my time (=I am lazy). I considered coolers but i like seeing my stuff.

Now I believe (or would like to think lol) that the cigars benefitted from that. Which from what I've read, a lot of brothers believe as well.

So do you or do you not? Let's make it fun fellas. Keep your head protected at all times and no hitting below the belt.

I've chosen to make the votes public incase some brothers want to know who ages their cigars like them. I ask our moderators to please modify at your disgression if I am wrong.

I've also given a deadline of three months. I'm not an I.T. guy but I like to believe that it will put less preassure on the servers. Lol.

Gentlemen, you may cast your votes.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted Ney.
Why? Because as far as I understand, "airtight" would mean that the aging process would be by all rights - stunted. Reading it literally anyway. Kind of like vacuum packing steaks for travel.

I have never heard of a guy keeping his sticks in a tupperdoor and not burping them or opening them for over a year. I thought the sticks would get moldy doing that!?
I would really like to hear more - how long have you kept the sticks in the tupperdoors without opening them?

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Considering that any humidor is NOT designed to be completely airtight, I voted ney. Fresh air needs to rotate through, and thus keep ambient air temp and RH from suffering drastic, quick changes.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Whether airtight would affect the aging process or not is entirely dependent on how much "fresh" air is needed in order to allow a cigar to continue to ferment, versus how much is inside the enclosure. I suspect that tobacco needs very very little oxygen (I am assuming this is the air component that allows fermentation -- chemists, help me out?) in order to ferment. Therefore, a tupperdor would allow plenty of air to get to the cigars, even over a period of years, and would not be appreciably different than aging them in, say, a coolidor, wineador, cabinet, or even a walk-in. No idea what the relative lack of *circulation* would do, but again, I bet not much.

As far as I know, there have been no scientific studies done that factor in the amount of air that gets to aging cigars, the amount of circulation that happens, and the eventual taste (which is of course highly subjective) of those aged cigars. If anyone wants to donate several boxes for me to test, I'll let you know in 2025 ;)

My guess is we will never know. But I would take the advice anyone who says he DOES know with a big grain of salt.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I do a combination of both. I have a tupperdor with cedar shims for long term storage. However, I have a smaller five count wooden humidor for cigars I plan on smoking over the next month. That means I'm opening the tupperdor at least once a week to replace the one I smoked. Plus each cigar gets up to five weeks of humidor rest/aging.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SeaGarr . I've been storing airtight for 4 years now. But I still have my first wooden humidor which is an Adornini. I rarely use it so the cigars there are not disturbed often. But it is not as air tight as my tuppers. I tried smoking one cuban Monte 2 from the Adorini and one from the tupper. I say the tupper is way more flavorful but also a bit harsher still than the adorini. Dare I say that it tasted almost like a recently rolled one. Like a young monte 2.

The adorini cigar had more finesse but was lacking some intensity in flavor. Although it gained some of that musky old cheese mouthfeel like old cigars do. The tupper cigar did not have this.

Granted that they were not from the same box code and date. And we all know how CC cigars vary wildy from box to box. Especially monte 2s.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Wow, how quick things change. I stopped using the humidor all together. I smoke to much for it to work the way I want it too. Plus the thing was cheap and the rh was everywhere.

All tupperdor all the time now.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, how quick things change. I stopped using the humidor all together. I smoke to much for it to work the way I want it too. Plus the thing was cheap and the rh was everywhere.

All tupperdor all the time now.
Well there you go. Lol. Good for you mate.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
@SeaGarr . I've been storing airtight for 4 years now. But I still have my first wooden humidor which is an Adornini. I rarely use it so the cigars there are not disturbed often. But it is not as air tight as my tuppers. I tried smoking one cuban Monte 2 from the Adorini and one from the tupper. I say the tupper is way more flavorful but also a bit harsher still than the adorini. Dare I say that it tasted almost like a recently rolled one. Like a young monte 2.

The adorini cigar had more finesse but was lacking some intensity in flavor. Although it gained some of that musky old cheese mouthfeel like old cigars do. The tupper cigar did not have this.

Granted that they were not from the same box code and date. And we all know how CC cigars vary wildy from box to box. Especially monte 2s.
Your last 2 sentences served as a disclaimer for everything that preceded them. Given the wide variation in quality from Monty 2 to Monty 2 it would be impossible to make any inferences regarding how a tupper ages cigars differently from a humidor.