What's new

Angels envy cask strength thoughts?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I enjoy BT and eagle rare along with four roses yellow and lightly peated scotches. I swung by a liquor store on the other side of town that I don’t get over to very often and found a angels envy cask strength. Never having a finished bourbon along with cask strength. Wanted to get some thoughts on it. Seemed like a pretty good price $58 from what other angels I’ve seen in the past.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm not a fan of port cask finished liquor. Port is a unique powerful flavor and overpowers the other more nuanced flavors in the whiskey. Basil Hayden dark rye is also finish in port and I'm not a fan. If you enjoy port wine or flavored whiskies give it a try.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I do like some port finish whiskeys, think the sweetness pairs generally pairs well with a cigar, at least to me.

Make sure it really is the cask strength. If so, that bottle is usually msrp of $200. I'd grab it in a heartbeat if 25% of msrp...

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I'm not a fan of finished whiskeys, Mid Winter Nights Dram has been the only exception so far Chayse. Lots of the local guys who do speak very highly of the AE Cask Strength. Like @gurgalunas said, make sure it's the Cask Strength, $58 sounds like the price of the regular proof version.

Some bars might have it, would be much better to try a pour first than to spend 60+ with tax for a bottle you don't like.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm not a fan of finished whiskeys, Mid Winter Nights Dram has been the only exception so far Chayse. Lots of the local guys who do speak very highly of the AE Cask Strength. Like @gurgalunas said, make sure it's the Cask Strength, $58 sounds like the price of the regular proof version.

Some bars might have it, would be much better to try a pour first than to spend 60+ with tax for a bottle you don't like.
I agree and that’s why I told the guy to set in the back for a day maybe he missed a 1 in front of it.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The rum cask finished rye is the best Angel's Envy in my opinion. I think there are better and cheaper cask strength bourbons than AE, a few being Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, George T. Stagg, Booker's and Old Forester 1920

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
The rum cask finished rye is the best Angel's Envy in my opinion. I think there are better and cheaper cask strength bourbons than AE, a few being Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, George T. Stagg, Booker's and Old Forester 1920
Please tell me where you get GTS cheaper than Angel's Envy CS, I am in for a six pack. ;) :cool:

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I never finished the bourbon story, went back the next day walked in and told the guy I wanted the AE cask he went to the back and got it. So he’s ringing me out and the manager is behind the counter as well doing inventory and looks up to see what the other guy is ringing up and sees the cask and goes how much did that ring up? The guy goes $58 before taxes and the manager goes there’s no way in hell that’s right. Long story short it was marked wrong and marked as the regular proof and it was actually $164. So I passed but still walked out with a bottle of woodford reserve.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So it was a small shop and some minimum wage clerk could have lost her job because she put the wrong price sticker on the bottle? You did the right thing.

Question for the board When do you point out a mistake like that and when do you keep your mouth shut and buy two? Something you want, not necessarily the AE?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So it was a small shop and some minimum wage clerk could have lost her job because she put the wrong price sticker on the bottle? You did the right thing.

Question for the board When do you point out a mistake like that and when do you keep your mouth shut and buy two? Something you want, not necessarily the AE?
Correct and Thank you

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
A small chain, a Mom & Pop, a large chain that does right by me (and others) would lead me to point out the error, and decide whether to buy based on what the price should be.

There are a couple large chains that have management that play favorites, hiding HTF stuff until their buddies (or their "proxys") arrive. Lying straight to my face about what they have gotten in. I'd take a George T Stagg mismarked at $49.99 without hesitation at those places.