What's new

Another brisket cook

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
A couple of 14#ers in the books. I got a new toy, fireboard2, thermometer and a fan that hooks up to it. That basically turns the stick burner smoker into a convection oven by monitoring the grate level temperature through one of six probes. You set the temperature you want and the fan kicks on in 1% increments using smart pid programming. While not fool proof, you still have to know when to add logs and such, it makes keeping the pit at a certain temperature much easier as well as the ability to produce clean smoke throughout the entire 12 hour cook due to complete combustion due to the fan spinning up and adding more oxygen.

I also tried turning all of the trimmings into beef tallow by placing them into a tin pan right next to the firebox. I usually have a pan of water in this location anyway but added trimmings. After six hours the water evaporated and the fat rendered down leaving brisket cracklings’. Before I wrapped the brisket I drizzled the tallow ontop of both of them and even used some in my pinto beans. Best briskets and beans ever....I say that every time I know but this time for sure lol.

Took the beans and briskets up to my friends bar, Copper Top Tavern, for them to serve in celebration of the establishments six year anniversary. It was great hearing other beef loving Texans, who I didn’t even know, comment on how amazing the brisket and beans were. That is why I smoke meat....Always trying to make a better brisket!

Attachments

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yea, perfect trim on the brisket. I know too many people that leave the entire fat cap on saying they get moister brisket. Then they cut off the fat cap before serving and all that crispy burned fat goes in the garbage. Nice job