What's new

Another newbie question

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Since I am now more quality conscious, I am becoming label aware.
When I buy cigars online or even b&m and I don't have my receipt handy to refer to, how do you tell what the cigar is beyong the fact of the Name listed on the cigar?

Take Padron for instance, there's 2000, 4000, Ambassador, Anniversary Corono, etc... How can you tell by looking at it what it is since it does not state these things on the label?

Is it just a matter of me getting the ring size and lengths down?

Because I still can't tell by looking at the size of cigar what the ring size is, off the top of my head, and I don't have a guage laying around to use...

What do I need to do?

P.S.: I have found this but what the hell does it mean?
http://www.cigarweekly.com/cigardb/sizechart.asp

ASm IU making this harder on myself than it actually is?

Thanks for all input.

R

RX2010

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Take Padron for instance, there's 2000, 4000, Ambassador, Anniversary Corono, etc... How can you tell by looking at it what it is since it does not state these things on the label?

Is it just a matter of me getting the ring size and lengths down?
Yes, pretty much, because that's all the different numbers/names are. The blend is the same.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I've found that the more I buy--especially vertically within a brand--the more I just eventually learn to recognize them. But it takes time, and it certainly can be confusing.

Moral of the story: smoke more! :grin:

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Get blank cigar bands and write everything about the cigar when bought or gifted. Yes after a while you just know these things. There are also placed to check the size of the sticks to know also.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
That chart is a general if a cigar in question is X long and X wide (ring guage) than it will general be called that size. Length is easy and is measured in inches. The RG is measured in a fraction if an inch 64 in diameter. So a 50 RG like a robusto is 50/64 or .78 almost 3/4 inch round. Like a PC (petite corona) is generally 5" long with a 42 RG (.656 or 2/3" round). I would not sweat that chart much, most manufactures call their cigars what they want to size wise.

I forgot another great site for newbies. This will keep you busy for days. THEY moved to another place, here is is:

http://clicks.aweber.com/z/ct/?Ynriq6CDkW7aRNBhbbCXEg

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Steve's got a very good suggestion with the book. It's something I've wanted to do but just never have.

In terms of keeping track in the humi, the bands are a great way to do that. Be warned, once you get a lot of sticks it becomes tough to keep up with the labeling.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I can usually figure it out between length and a guess at ring guage but it can certainly be challenging. The above suggestions are all good ones. If you buy online alot, try to keep tab of your e-receipts and match them in when you receive your orders.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally get a ruler to check the length of the cigar and guess the ring gauge. Then I compare it with the numbers in my Perlemens Cigar Cyclopedia.

That generally clears up any of my confusion for me.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
when you get some smokes, write down what they are on a little piece of paper then just staple it to the stick. problem solved. :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree with the others in tagging them after you buy them. However, I think you will find in time that you won't need to do this. Ultimately, you will know simply by sight. Until then though, just label them.