What's new

Any Auto Mechanics Here?

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
I got a 2003 Ford Expedition, Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8. A couple months ago I took it to the dealer to get a tune up, plugs changed, oil... At that time, they also replaced two of the coils (the motor was running terribly rough), now yesterday, it's doing it again. The dealer charged me $96 per coil and I can get them locally at an auto parts store for just under half that. Is this something that I can change myself. On the 1-10 scale of auto maintenance capability, I may rank a 4, motorcycles, totally different, but the truck is just not something I usually do myself. So, between 6 coils and labor, I'm looking to save some cash.

Anybody, Bueller!

Crypto Sailor

Loose Lips Sink Ships
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I got a 2003 Ford Expedition, Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8. A couple months ago I took it to the dealer to get a tune up, plugs changed, oil... At that time, they also replaced two of the coils (the motor was running terribly rough), now yesterday, it's doing it again. The dealer charged me $96 per coil and I can get them locally at an auto parts store for just under half that. Is this something that I can change myself. On the 1-10 scale of auto maintenance capability, I may rank a 4, motorcycles, totally different, but the truck is just not something I usually do myself. So, between 6 coils and labor, I'm looking to save some cash.

Anybody, Bueller!
Wade-

I'm on a ford truck forum so I'll ask there and see what response I get...So I'll steal what you posted here so they have a general idea...

R/
Brian

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
If it is anything like the setup on an inline 6...On a V8 it should be fairly easy... They are located over the spark plugs, under a cover. They plug in and bolt down over the spark plugs. If you can change the plugs, you should be able to change the coils packs as well with ease.

Crypto Sailor

Loose Lips Sink Ships
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
If it is anything like the setup on an inline 6...On a V8 it should be fairly easy... They are located over the spark plugs, under a cover. They plug in and bolt down over the spark plugs. If you can change the plugs, you should be able to change the coils packs as well with ease.
You may or may not have to remove the fuel rail to gain access to the coils, depends who you ask.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
If I could look at it with my eyes I'd tell you yes or no pretty easily. They SHOULDN'T be tough to replace; just probably a bolt and some plugs. On the other hand I never thought replacing the water pump on my last truck would require removal of the starter and harmonic balancer but new vehicles always have wonderful little surprises.

With it being a 2003 a Haynes/Chilton manual shouldn't be too far off. Don't they normally come out with in 5 years of a car's introduction to the market?