What's new

Any experience as an auto damage adjuster?

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Guys, im thinking of going for a job as an auto damage trainee and need some words of wisdom from anyone who does or has done this.

I've heard some horror stories online, but you always hear more bad than good. I know every company is different, but how stressful do you find this position? I'm just worried about dealing with nasty people on a daily basis, which could really affect my mood and state of mind. This position would require me to move, but I'd love any input before I decide to pursue it.

thanks for any replies.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What kind of company would you be working for? Insurance? Would you be an employee or would you be an independent contractor?

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I currently work for one of the largest auto insurance companies, so I would be a company employee as a field adjuster. Probably working some of the time in an office, but probably more in the field. I would be dealing face to face with body shops and policyholders.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I currently work for one of the largest auto insurance companies, so I would be a company employee as a field adjuster. Probably working some of the time in an office, but probably more in the field. I would be dealing face to face with body shops and policyholders.
Outside looking in...but from the guys I know who are adjusters I see two things 1.)the guys who enjoy interactions with people enjoy the job 2.) those that work as employees seem to have less stress in the day to day interactions than the contractors.

You are either there to offer help in the time of need or you work for the big bad insurance company.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I know that adjusters get a bad rap sometimes. I have only ever had one accident in my life where the car was damaged and my experience with the adjuster was outstanding. I guess it all depends on who you work for and how liberal they are with handing out values for damaged vehicles. If you are working for a company that is stingy and your job will be to save as much money and screw people whenever you can to keep them profitable I would imagine that it would be a drag. If your company offers full replacement value or has a good policy of making sure the job is done right and the customers are taken care of then I think that the job would be awesome.

In my case I had only had my car for 9 months before it was totaled. Because I got a great deal when I bought it through a local dealer and the insurance company set the replacement value based on what similar cars were selling for at CarMax, I ended up getting a settlement that was more than I paid for the car. needless to say I was VERY happy. I am now having some residual medical issues a year and a half later and the person I have been dealing with has been extremely helpful.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
As Mr Bondo ,, surprisingly enough I have auto body training and work on cars ... but it is not my career. The job will be just what you think it is,
Keeping the claimant as well as the repair shops honest and in line.

I'm sure you can hold the job. If you need it and hungry for work go for it. The real question here, is the consequences of the move.

Last edited:

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Yeah, it's funny, the move and training would be tough, but Im ok with, just don't want people threatening me or calling me a MF'r every day. ive heard these positions in cities can be rough, but the areas im looking at our more rural/country. My current job has made me soft, but (as you guys may have seen in my previous post about relocating), they are probably going to automate it soon.

thanks for the replies, keep them coming. This would be a big move and I need as much info as I can before I decide to persue it.