What's new

Any Islay whisky folks.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been dabbling in the Islay stuff lately.
Like my bourbon but this stuff is pretty good.
Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I love the smoky and peaty flavour that is typical of many Ilays - Laphroig, Ardbeg, Lagavullin, Bowmore, to name a few. That said, they are not always the best with cigars as they tend to overpower all but the boldest and full bodied.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@magste That could be a good thing when trying to drink a heavily peated scotch, a full bodied cigar tames the scotch and makes for a flavorful combination. Pairings work both ways!!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had Ardbeg an oa with a Southern Draw Jacobs ladder last night that worked really well together. I usually try to have my more full bodied cigars at the end of the day when i would most likely be drinking something like this, but not always.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I can see how that would be a good pairing. Neither the cigar nor the Scotch are extreme in their strength and smokiness. I have the Ardbeg 10 in my cabinet and the 10 would probably overwhelm the Jacob's Ladder.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Lagavullin for sure. If you haven't tried it and want just a hint of peat give the Benromach 10 a try. If you can find the Imperial proof so much the better.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i love the stuff. laphroig quarter cask is my favorite by far, with ardbeg 10 as a distant 2nd. i also agree that fine scotch and cigars don't really feel right together, just my opinion. if i feel like scotch with a cigar i usually go with walker black.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can see how that would be a good pairing. Neither the cigar nor the Scotch are extreme in their strength and smokiness. I have the Ardbeg 10 in my cabinet and the 10 would probably overwhelm the Jacob's Ladder.
I have the 10 also. But i think i did choose the right one. Smoothed out the ladder a bit which I like by itself but the combo was very good.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lagavullin for sure. If you haven't tried it and want just a hint of peat give the Benromach 10 a try. If you can find the Imperial proof so much the better.
I have the 16 and 8 Lagavullin but havent tried yet. Ill keep an eye out for the Benromach 10. Havent seen it the shops around me.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As some have mentioned, you'll definitely want to pair with a cigar that can stand up to the peat.

We just did a show last week with Simon Brooking who is the brand ambassador for Laphroaig as well as Jeff Borysiewicz from Corona Cigar Company and Florida Sun Grown. Simon talked a lot about Islay in general as well as Laphroaig.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As some have mentioned, you'll definitely want to pair with a cigar that can stand up to the peat.

We just did a show last week with Simon Brooking who is the brand ambassador for Laphroaig as well as Jeff Borysiewicz from Corona Cigar Company and Florida Sun Grown. Simon talked a lot about Islay in general as well as Laphroaig.

Thanks! Watching video now.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
If you plan to buy Laphroiag, do buy the Quarter Cask bottling.

More intensity of what you bought the bottle for.

The 100 proof is also very intense if you can find it.

Ardbeg is lighter for a south coast Islay, elegant and approachable...

There is also a 10 year old Lagavulin out there,a different treatment of a huge classic.

Young Bowmore is a treat, the 25 year is sublime.

While we are on the subject, Springbank makes Longrow, a little peat in a top shelf dram.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you plan to buy Laphroiag, do buy the Quarter Cask bottling.

More intensity of what you bought the bottle for.

The 100 proof is also very intense if you can find it.

Ardbeg is lighter for a south coast Islay, elegant and approachable...

There is also a 10 year old Lagavulin out there,a different treatment of a huge classic.

Young Bowmore is a treat, the 25 year is sublime.

While we are on the subject, Springbank makes Longrow, a little peat in a top shelf dram.
Picked up a quarter cask today. Also picked up a laphroig 10 cask strength. Looking forward to trying them.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
well done sir !!

don't drink them all at one sitting.............:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

you must live in a pretty big city to find both of these.............

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
well done sir !!

don't drink them all at one sitting.............:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

you must live in a pretty big city to find both of these.............
Nope 2 redlight town. Im SE PA. I snuck over the Pa line to md. Anout a half hour drive. This store has a pretty good selection of Islay stuff. Highland, speyside, Irish, you name it. plus tons of bourbon. Been by this place a 1000 times. Hardly saw any cars ever. But Alas 1 day i stopped.$$