What's new

Any Suggestions?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wanted to wait until I at least had a palette to speak of, its not refined but I did try alittle home review today for the first time on the Gurkha Crest and ended up scoring it as an 78 (C+) for me. I've already gotten a some great suggestions on what cigars to try and thats why I'll soon be placing an order soon for the Crowned Heads 6 shooter sampler, Arturo Fuente, Padron and Don Pepin. But I'm hoping ya'll cigar veterans might have more suggestions based on what I've liked so far. I've had 6 cigars that stood out so far,

Pueblo Dominicano
My Father Le Bijou
5 Vegas 'A'
Oliva Saison
Man O' War Side Project Little Devil
Diesel Shorty

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Diesel Shorty, that was an impressive cigar for me that I didn't want to end. After I smoked it I started looking at boxes of them and into other Diesel's.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
id say wait on a box purchase. You have a lot of singles to try. Very exciting point to be at. The universe is vast and the options are boundless for you right now.

do you have a local BM(brick and mortar)? If so, i would recommend going there and grabbing a handful of sticks that peak your interest or are recommended by the shop owner.

Since you have to try things to find out i wont recommend to stay away from too many things if you are only buying one, but i do recommend staying away from any brands that are here in the US but also exist in Cuba(ie Montecristo, Cohiba, etc) since they aren't cheap and aren't good(IMO).

Going the route of more Pepin isn't a bad decision. Or things made in the Pepin factory like Tatuaje or newer Crowned Heads.

Again, the world of cigars is enormous and you have to enjoy the journey. Go take some stabs and find out the fun way...by trying everything!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Chef, ya I did have a Monetcristo Desde 1935 Club Selection it was the third cigar I tried since I started keeping track so probably the 5th one in my life, yup I'm THAT much of a newbie lol. I didn't think a lot of it then, figured it could be a nice smoke to have while working outside. Can't wait to get a Dossier so I can organize my thoughts better.

But I appreciate the help and advise, I'm probably going to continue to stick to samplers for awhile. Few more months to go and I'll be able to go to a B&M and do just that, buy a handful of shop/owner favorites. I've gotten pretty lucky (well guided by others) thus far and haven't gotten any sticks that made me want to use mouthwash but I'm getting nervous starting to think that I'm due for it. :eek:

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Bro Montana, I got you covered on the B&M when we get back. Bill at the Cigar Box is legit. Listen to these men, they will not lead you astray. Wait on box purchases for now. Buy a couple of each that you want to try like I recommended. That way you will have one extra if you like it and you can revisit it after a while. I agree with Chef on the US Cuban brands. There are too many other great brands that are less if not at the same price point that are way more enjoyable. Rodrigo, Padron xxxx (thousand series, ie, 2000, 3000, etc), Crowned Heads, Illusione, Tatuaje, and anything Pepin would be a great jumping off point.

Oh, and by the way; support a sponsor and go to Famous Smoke. BOTLORG = 15% off. Check out the Monster and usually you'll get your whole order shipped free. Free shipping = more loot to spend on glorious tobacco.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what stood out about those sticks? not that i have a refined pallete or anything but i may have some suggestions with a lil more info.
I don't have a refined pallete at all, but I'm working on that lol. All I can really tell you is what I wrote down in my little notebook I've been using as a start up cigar journal and it won't really help.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bro Montana, I got you covered on the B&M when we get back. Bill at the Cigar Box is legit. Listen to these men, they will not lead you astray. Wait on box purchases for now. Buy a couple of each that you want to try like I recommended. That way you will have one extra if you like it and you can revisit it after a while. I agree with Chef on the US Cuban brands. There are too many other great brands that are less if not at the same price point that are way more enjoyable. Rodrigo, Padron xxxx (thousand series, ie, 2000, 3000, etc), Crowned Heads, Illusione, Tatuaje, and anything Pepin would be a great jumping off point.

Oh, and by the way; support a sponsor and go to Famous Smoke. BOTLORG = 15% off. Check out the Monster and usually you'll get your whole order shipped free. Free shipping = more loot to spend on glorious tobacco.
I know you've got my back, your suggestions are why I'm gonna get the Crowned Heads 6 Shooter Sampler and looking to try a few Padron's. I wasn't trying to make it seem like I didn't value your insight bro.

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
I know you've got my back, your suggestions are why I'm gonna get the Crowned Heads 6 Shooter Sampler and looking to try a few Padron's. I wasn't trying to make it seem like I didn't value your insight bro.
Lol. I wasn't even taking it that way. Just sharing some of the knowledge I got from some of the Brothers. Pick everyone's brain here. That's what this place is all about.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good, I'm not very good at understanding text since you can't hear the inflexion of what people are saying. But ya definitively trying to pick brains especially Chef's but I'm starting to think he might be alittle crazy lol. Jk Chef

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Try the Diesel Unholy Cocktail. That is what started it all. Manowar Ruination is also a butt kicker. With that said I think it is time I buy a box of UHCs.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone, I'm saving all suggestions on my tablet so I can reference as I put together orders.

Last edited:

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Doc try aging room or curivari. U might like em. They have that coco note that's in diesel n padron. Good luck.
Agreed. I smoked an Aging Room Small Batch M356 and got a crazy dose of butterscotch on the back of my tongue when I sipped some water. It was like a Worther's Original. It jumped out at me and then was gone. Great cigar though.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll repeat what the others have said. Don't buy boxes yet. I made that mistake and now have boxes that I don't even pay attention to anymore.

Also, don't waste your money on cheap humidors if you have not yet. You are better of with a tupperdor or cooledor. Save your money for a nice humidor (not China made) when you've realized how big your stash can get. That number in your head, multiply that by a hundred.

Famous Smoke is a kickass site. That's were I buy most of my stash from. And they were the first ones who were willing to sell to me internationally.

As always, enjoy. And don't write off a cigar just because you didn't like it now. Some great cigars were too overwhelming for me at first and didn't pay attention to them until recently.

Cheers

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Multiply buy 100 indeed! Better to get one large humi than maintain a bunch of small ones-pain in the rear. And if you do buy a humidor never, NEVER buy a glass-top! And nix on boxes, esp when yr developing your palate. Plus, with all the great deals on 5 packs, you can get em cheaper than box prices anyway. Look for Famous' buy three 5ers, get one free.