What's new

Any thoughts on Thompson's merger with Cigarbid?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Been getting the notices in email for a couple of weeks, Doesn't really affect me but I was curious if anyone who used the Thompson Auction thinks this is a good idea?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
"the industry’s two premier cigar auction sites will combine under the CigarBid brand to deliver one world-class cigar auction destination. This merge will improve your cigar bidding experience immediately and allow us to remain the best possible cigar auction site for decades to come."

"We are confident that this merge with CigarBid will bring you more of the products you love along with new, exciting bidding features and specials. Please note that our main Thompson Cigar site will remain unchanged."

I'm guessing CI buys companies and keeps their storefront? Combined the auction sites because it wasn't generating enough revenue to stand alone?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
"the industry’s two premier cigar auction sites will combine under the CigarBid brand to deliver one world-class cigar auction destination. This merge will improve your cigar bidding experience immediately and allow us to remain the best possible cigar auction site for decades to come."

"We are confident that this merge with CigarBid will bring you more of the products you love along with new, exciting bidding features and specials. Please note that our main Thompson Cigar site will remain unchanged."

I'm guessing CI buys companies and keeps their storefront? Combined the auction sites because it wasn't generating enough revenue to stand alone?
I would think cigar bid would make a killing

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that cbid will expand product selection similar to what Thompson had. Thompson has some products that Cbid doesn't, and quite frankly cbid's selection is getting pretty stale. I would love to see some higher end products start at $1 but that seems like a pipe dream due to the MAPS required by manufacturers now. All in all I felt that thompson auction wasn't even in ththe same league as cbid let alone a "competitor".

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
CBid is after the apportioned premium cigars Thompson's is entitled to.

Watch for more Padron,Fuentes,Ashton,Tats..….

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fulfillment changed a while ago, but if you live in California, you now have to upload a photo ID due to CA law. Boo I guess. I read the law, it's age driven, there's no communication back for tax records. Yet.

The preceding is an annoying FYI.

All in all consolidation is bad for consumers, so I don't care for it. But what do I know, I'm just a business owner and a consumer.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Thompson’s was a retailer

Cbid/cigars international is part of the STG group (aka owners of general cigar)

You see those brands pushed cause they own them; like it was said in another part of BOTL earlier in the week in regards to manufacturers pricing by hosh (retailer) most times he could buy those brands on cbid cheaper than he could purchase as a retailer. If they produce/ own the brands and cut out the middle man they make 50% (estimate/keystone) on prices that are cheaper than retailers cost. Great strategy.

I doubt you will see premium brands popping up at volume discounts just because they purchased Thompson’s. They took a competitor out of business and gained inventory for the retail stores that sell the premium stuff. Online sales will more than likely continue to be the same.

Even when they have Fuente/Padron/etc brands you are able to come close to the price listed or beat it (free fall for example) with a different retailer with a coupon (20ish% off)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk