What's new

Anybody using Puisais method to light up?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Cigar Inspector revisited this and I noticed it was discussed on the board. Anyone lighting cigars this way?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As .I said in the dry box thread, "I am the international symbol of manhood"

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've done it by mistake a few times. I like to read while I'm smoking, so I light up the heater, get all comfy, turn on my tablet, and toast my cigar. I few times I've gone to take my first puff, and realized I forgot to cut/punch the cap. Personally, I didn't notice any difference.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Puisais? Isn't that the name of the chick on Orange is the New Black Netflix show??

Back on track. Had to google this since I had no idea what you were talking about. Might have to give it a try one night.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I do it, but not for flavor, but to keep me from relighting, I've noticed if I toast the cigar for about 30 seconds or so put the cigar down for a few seconds then cut, it tends to stay lit more, but that could just be me.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I've been lighting like this for a couple years and what I have noticed is less heat up front (probably due to NOT pulling the flame into the cigar), especially on shorter smokes and more "true" flavor up front (meaning less charred tobacco and more of what the tobacco actually tastes like).
I didn't notice much (but it did seem to be more pleasant) at first but after doing it for a while and then reverting back I instantly tasted and felt a difference.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Why wouldn't we go ahead and either cut or punch first and then light as described? It seems logical not to pull the char into the cigar.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I posted earlier that I had done this by mistake (lighting a cigar, and then realizing I forgot to cut it). But, I never purged after lighting. Today I tried this method on two cheapies. A C&C Corojo and a DE Factory Bundle #2. I spent a good minute, slowly toasting the foot, while being mindful not to allow the flame from my torch to touch the foot. I then punched the cap, and gently purged. I was surprised at the results. I've found the C&C to be a harsh cigar. The one I had today, was very smooth and mild through the first half. Some harshness showed itself in the 2nd half, but not nearly as much as usual. I had considered the C&C as a "one note" cigar, but today, it actually evolved as I smoked it. I had said before that the DE #2 had strong T-52/Nica Rustica qualities. The one I had today, started off very sweet and mild, though the T-52/Nica Rustica qualities came through in the 2nd half. Both cigars burned razor sharp, with no touchups. I found this shocking, as I usually have to touchup my cigars at least a couple times. I will continue to use this method for a while, and then go back to my previous method, just to reaffirm that the difference is as great as it seems to be.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Tried this method on 3 cheapies today. DE UC Shade 2nd, Alex Bradley AB1, and a LA Escogidos. In the past, I've had problems with the AB1 & Escogidos canoeing. Not only did all three cigars taste cleaner, but they all had a razor burn, with no touchups. I guess for the past 10 years, I've been lighting my cigars improperly, and charring them. Tomorrow, I'll try it on a My Father 1922 torp. Out of the dozen or so that I've smoked, every single one has canoed, and needed major touchups. If this one smokes straight, I'll be sold.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I often get lazy and don't do this but I find that if I heat up the foot and gently puff while the flame is close to but not on the stick is the most optimal way of lighting a cigar. Flame should never touch the tobacco according to some. I find that helps more than cutting off the top after lighting