What's new

Anyone a jazz listener?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
So jazz is basically the only music that I listen seriously to. I buy a pop album now and again, but I don't really keep up with everything that the cool kids are listening to. But I listen to a lot (I mean a lot) of jazz. Mostly hard bop trumpet if anyone is interested.

Any other jazz listeners out there? I'd like to find someone I could trade cigars/CDs with...now that would be a seriously cool trade!

:glassesgr

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
I like Jazz. Good music to relax to. For me. I wish I had some to trade.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I listen to a fair amount of jazz, in addition to just about every other genre. Lately, I've been into the Keith Jarrett Trio (as well as just about anything else with Jack DeJohnette), late '60s Miles Davis, and Masada. Based on some friends' recommendations, I've slowly been checking out newer stuff by Chris Potter, Dave Douglas, Tom Harrell, etc.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
What are your thoughts on Medeski, Martin & Wood...
I'm not hard-core into jazz, but I love these guys... Beyond that, my interestes are pretty eclectic.. from Bela Fleck's contemporary jazz/bluegrass/classical to old school pluckers like Django Reinhart... I do consider the band Mars Volta to be some far-out experimental jazz in the vein of The Mahavishnu Orchestra, but would consider that in more of a 'rock' catagory...
Of course, Miles, Monk, Ribot, Coltraine, Tom Waits (one of my all-time favorites)...

I remember seeing Hancock, Hargrove & Brecker & being completely on fire... What a great performance - electricity in the air!

So... I still don't know if I qualify as a jazz fan being that it is such a broad catagory.
(I don't know anything about 'bop-trumpet')

jfsjazz

Don Lupini
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've been a jazz fan for years; even try my hand at a bit of jazz guitar. Own about 600 jazz CDs; prefer the traditional styles; not too much into acid jazz or real hard bop; smooth jazz on occasion. I'll do my best to help if I have an idea of what you might be looking for; music and cigars!!

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I like Latin Jazz, one in particular is Poncho Sanchez (El Conguero) www.ponchosanchez.com he plays all over the country, check he and his band out when they come to your part of the country or world. A local Californian that flat out brings the house down every time I have seen them! His Grammy winning Latin Soul is a truly a must own! :smokingco
Also a disc I picked up about 10-12 years ago (About the time my Cuban obsession began) "The Afro-Latin Groove-Sabroso" has a great collection of 60's Caribbean jazz!
My 2 cents...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I listen to a lot of jazz. Jazz has so many sub-genres where if there is something you don't like about one part, there is something that you will like. I prefer a lot of the classic jazz, John Coltrane, Stan Getz, Charles Mingus, along with some of the modern stuff as well. Of the sub-genres I like are; Big Band, Fusion, Bebop, and on occasion Dixieland as well as Ragtime.

Right now I am in a Big Band rotation, listening to Glen Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Denver and the Mile High Orchestra, Benny Goodman, and the Brian Setzer Orchresta. Also I cannot forget Big Bad VooDoo Daddy.