What's new

Anyone an avid snorkeler?

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I spent a good number of years as a Scuba Instructor...whats your gear question?
My wife is grossed out by the idea of renting a snorkel that's been used by other people so I need to buy us one. She's also paranoid about water cresting into into it so that pretty much puts us into a Dry snorkel.

That said though I'm looking for specific recommendations or at least a brand recommendation.

Also if you have any thoughts on decent masks? And any advice on choosing the right fit.

It should also be noted I don't want to spend a ton if we can help it.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I spent a good number of years as a Scuba Instructor...whats your gear question?
My wife is grossed out by the idea of renting a snorkel that's been used by other people so I need to buy us one. She's also paranoid about water cresting into into it so that pretty much puts us into a Dry snorkel.

That said though I'm looking for specific recommendations or at least a brand recommendation.

Also if you have any thoughts on decent masks? And any advice on choosing the right fit.

I would plan on a low profile dive mask. One that sits close to the face, but comfortable. When you leave the surface to dive to any depth the pressure changes, and the air in the mask sucks inward toward your face. The pressure is equalized by gently exhaling a bit thru your nose. No real biggy, But it needed to be mentioned because sometimes folks looks for the great big glass front masks that hold a ton of air. And become a bother when snorkeling or free diving. One other thing on masks, spend the extra 5 bucks and get a neoprene mask strap. Your hair and head comfort will thank you.

As to fit, best way to size one is to walk in a Dive shop take a mask off the wall place it up to your face and inhale thru your nose. If the mask stays on your face without using your hands to hold it, and you feel the seal holding tight without leaks, its a good fit. A poor fitted mask will leak air in around seam and fall off your face as soon as you let go. This does not require a ton of inhalation to do, just a half breath in should hold one fine.

To snorkels, one that seals the top sounds like her preference, but also consider the mouthpiece. Make sure that you at least try it in your mouth before buying. A mouthpiece that is too large will give you jaw cramps after as little as ten minutes and ruin the fun.

Do you have fins already, or do you need to buy those as well. Renting is an option, but if it was me, Id buy them too. Rental fins suck.

As to brands, I have been and will always be pro USDivers gear. If its good enough for Jacque Cousteau, its good enough for me.
Besides that, they do have some really good product selections and prices.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Oh one other thing...I realize your not on a coastal location where there may be a ton of dive shops. But I would try to find one for trying on masks, even if you don't buy one, find one that fits. Then you can shop online to save money. You can also find a decent selection nowadays at Bass Pro Shops, Sports Authority, and Dicks Sporting goods....as an option.

Cigarth Vader

Official Jedi of BOTL.org
Retailer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0

I would plan on a low profile dive mask. One that sits close to the face, but comfortable. When you leave the surface to dive to any depth the pressure changes, and the air in the mask sucks inward toward your face. The pressure is equalized by gently exhaling a bit thru your nose. No real biggy, But it needed to be mentioned because sometimes folks looks for the great big glass front masks that hold a ton of air. And become a bother when snorkeling or free diving. One other thing on masks, spend the extra 5 bucks and get a neoprene mask strap. Your hair and head comfort will thank you.

As to fit, best way to size one is to walk in a Dive shop take a mask off the wall place it up to your face and inhale thru your nose. If the mask stays on your face without using your hands to hold it, and you feel the seal holding tight without leaks, its a good fit. A poor fitted mask will leak air in around seam and fall off your face as soon as you let go. This does not require a ton of inhalation to do, just a half breath in should hold one fine.

To snorkels, one that seals the top sounds like her preference, but also consider the mouthpiece. Make sure that you at least try it in your mouth before buying. A mouthpiece that is too large will give you jaw cramps after as little as ten minutes and ruin the fun.

Do you have fins already, or do you need to buy those as well. Renting is an option, but if it was me, Id buy them too. Rental fins suck.

As to brands, I have been and will always be pro USDivers gear. If its good enough for Jacque Cousteau, its good enough for me.
This is spot on, I have a US DIVERS mask with a dry Snorkel. Through several dives it's been great. Best of luck in your Snorkel search and have fun diving!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm a freediver and spearfisher here in California. My favorite masks are from a company called Omer and they have super soft silicone around the face so I never get leaks or anything.

Also get a mask with no clear silicone around the lens as it lets light inside your mask. You will have a better experience with the sides being blacked out

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0

Thanks a ton for your response! So I found two dive shops in my area, gave them a call, explained the situation and this is what they said…

Shop 1
- We will help you find the right fit for all your gear and we sell kits for around $80 that will include a mask, dry snorkel, the 'right kind' of fins all in a mesh bag.
Shop 2 - A good dry snorkel will run around $35 and masks range, but a good one will run around $65 (he never mentioned fins). We will find the right fit and then get you and your wife inside our pool to make sure you're comfortable.

Obviously the experience of number 2 is reassuring, but how do the prices sound? Without fins it's looking to be more than shop 1 from the get-go.

I'm a freediver and spearfisher here in California. My favorite masks are from a company called Omer and they have super soft silicone around the face so I never get leaks or anything.

Also get a mask with no clear silicone around the lens as it lets light inside your mask. You will have a better experience with the sides being blacked out
Thanks for that tip! I will keep it in mind.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Thanks a ton for your response! So I found two dive shops in my area, gave them a call, explained the situation and this is what they said…

Shop 1
- We will help you find the right fit for all your gear and we sell kits for around $80 that will include a mask, dry snorkel, the 'right kind' of fins all in a mesh bag.
Shop 2 - A good dry snorkel will run around $35 and masks range, but a good one will run around $65 (he never mentioned fins). We will find the right fit and then get you and your wife inside our pool to make sure you're comfortable.

Obviously the experience of number 2 is reassuring, but how do the prices sound? Without fins it's looking to be more than shop 1 from the get-go.

Thanks for that tip! I will keep it in mind.
Shop #2 sounds more in line with what a professional dive shop would sell for folks who want to do this more than once in their life.

Shop #1 price point for their kit is fine, but it will be lower end stuff. If you lived inland and would never snorkel again in your life this package will get you by Im sure.

Mesh bags are common ways to store these items for transport as they allow water to drain out when done and during snorkeling you can swim with it with ease to collect sand dollars, shells, whatever.
I would go with shop 2 just because they are offering to pool you. Be careful though they will let you try a good mask then possible have you try a "great" mask that will indeed feel better (at a higher cost). So just be mindful not to get caught up in a sales trap if that where the conversation heads.

As to fins, again its about comfort, price, and how many times you may use them in the future.
Good luck, I hope you and the Mrs. have a great time.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Another side note. In place of snorkeling you may consider looking into a "Resort Scuba Dive" from one of the local dive shops.
Basically it's where a certified and insured instructor takes you out in a fairly shallow area and you get to scuba dive without having to take a certification class. Snorkeling is fun, but scuba is a whole other realm of awesome. Resort dives usually include all gear required to do the dive. And to avoid creepy mouthpiece issues you could purchase a regulator mouthpiece for little money and have them put it on the rental regulator. Just a thought. I've taken plenty of tourists on resort dives and they all walked away beaming with happiness.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Do the scuba thing if you can! I just passed my OW course in June and will be taking the AOW in Dec. snorkeling was great but nothing like diving. The only other tip I can offer is make sure to shave before your day. Any stubble will allow water in. If your okay with clearing the mask underwater it's not as big of a deal but still annoying.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st post on botl so here it goes. I have been diving for years including deep mix diving etc and would suggest you get a decent black silicone mask and a simple snorkel but not a dry design.I haven't been impressed by any of the dry designs I have seen and they are all more fusy to use than a normal snorkel. Clearing a snorkel is a skill that becomes instinct in minutes. If you do the pool trial try both designs and have your wife decide. As for brands I use what fits and I can source locally.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
@Trackmyer
@Cigar Jedi

Okay so we went to the dive shop and here's what we came up with after trying on all their stuff

Mask (His) - Aqua Lung Teknika
Mask (Hers) - Deep See Clarity
Snorkel (His/Hers) - Aqua Lung Impulse Dry
Fins (His/Hers) - Deep See Aqua Glide Snorkeling Fins

Before I go ahead and make the purchase is there anything I should be wary of in this setup? I don't want to regret it later!
One other point of concern though is that the snorkel selection was limited and the guy said they all had the same mouthpiece size. Was he just blowing smoke up my arse?

Cigarth Vader

Official Jedi of BOTL.org
Retailer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I don't have any experience with the Deep See, but as long as they fit well (suction test) you should be just fine.

As far as the sizes on the snorkels, I'm pretty sure you can get different size mouthpieces- but he probably only had normal's in stock...you can always buy a mini if you need something smaller. http://www.snorkelingonline.com/snorkel-mouthpiece/ sells a smaller one for just a few bucks.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
The comfo-bite mouthpiece on this snorkel is designed to prevent jaw fatigue. Which, I can assure you, too big a mouthpiece cramps your jaws something wicked. Everything here looks up and up. If the mouthpiece is too big, you can get a child's size one, but I wouldn't think in necessary.

Main point is YOUR comfort. Did all the gear feel o.k. on? Because if it doesn't, you will get frustrated within short order of swimming around with it. As long as your good with feel, and fitment, then I'd say go for it and have a great time.