What's new

Anyone believe piping and cigars simply do not mix?

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Back in Nov. I noted my well aged Padron had a strong citrus taste. Prior to that stick I smoked two bowls of Prince Albert (new pipe break-in).
This morning, thru afternoon, I enjoyed two bowls of Boswell's Magnum. About two hours ago I finished a very citrusy Long Live the King.
Cavendish is the common denominator in both blends, which I presume is the culprit.
Anybody else getting some weird tongue ghosting when switching from the pipe to cigars?

botl (2).jpg

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Back in Nov. I noted my well aged Padron had a strong citrus taste. Prior to that stick I smoked two bowls of Prince Albert (new pipe break-in).
This morning, thru afternoon, I enjoyed two bowls of Boswell's Magnum. About two hours ago I finished a very citrusy Long Live the King.
Cavendish is the common denominator in both blends, which I presume is the culprit.
Anybody else getting some weird tongue ghosting when switching from the pipe to cigars?

View attachment 128371
i never do both unless its at least half a day apart from each other

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
i never do both unless its at least half a day apart from each other
You might be on to something.
I'm 2 for 2 with this peculiar experience. Gonna give it one more shot to make sure.
Might also try some palate cleaning (lemon, ginger etc) before making the switch.

Surprised more pipers haven't commented.
Guess I'm the odd bird out.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I smoke both pipe and cigars. I have never experienced ghosting as you describe it. It might have to do with the pipe being new and not broken in yet. It could also point to the tobaccos you are smoking. I smoke Rattrays Black Mallory and all of their other similar blends.

Dran

"That guy"
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I rarely smoke both in the same day, and when i do, it's Cigar--->pipe... But i just finished a pipe and have an hour drive to the VA hospital, I'll take a cigar... You know... FOR SCIENCE!!

Update:
I did pick up the sweeter notes from the cigar that i often hear others describe, but don't usually pick up on myself. And it did seem a bit more.... "Pungent" than a cigar usually would... But not in a bad way. Overall I'd say in the future, just a bit of time and a palate cleanse between smokes and you should be good... There ended up being about 4 hours between the pipe and the cigar.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Haven't done both in the same day, however, picking up pipes from cigars has been a trip for tastes. I only smoked Habanos, but I can imagine if I smoked a cigar then a pipe I wouldn't taste the pipe at all (I already have trouble discerning anything in a pipe that isn't beating me over the head.)

It makes sense that there would be ghosting, but citrus is wild. I wonder if a blend with no cavendish would do the same? Have you tried a straight Dominican or Cuban? Any similarities in diet on those days? I've heard that this can affect your body's PH and impact how you taste, though I don't know if that's true.

This feels like a job for an Excel spreadsheet...

Sent from the Barbarino Batphone

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
This feels like a job for an Excel spreadsheet...
Being the fat lazy bastard I am words like 'spreadsheet' are right up there with 'cleaning the gutters' and 'running a marathon'.

Seriously though, I too am a strong believer in the science of a pre-smoke meal's ability to skew flavors of smoked tobaccos.
Think I'll just heed everyone's advice and discontinue the practice all together.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I've been noticing cigars tasting a little different and "sweeter" afyer having a bowl with any perique or even virginia earlier..
My taste is definitely changed by the Latakia in blends. I get a tangy citrus flavor with a sweetness that lingers. It's not a bad taste, but it doesn't follow what any cigar should taste like.
I found eating a few spoon fulls of pickled ginger after piping completely cleans my palate for a cigar.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t say that I’ve noticed, however there’s not many days when I burn both a pipe and cigar. Usually it’s one or the other for me.

nubchin

cigar dreamin 24h
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought is that the smoke from a pipe are mostly vapor that is heated slowly from around the cherry and pipe tobaccos containing more humidity and sugar additives then cigar tobacco, the palate after getting hit by heat and sugar will continue to sense cigar smoke the same way. Citrus as you describe or acidity could be the sugar from cavendish doing its thing. Similar to Perique being citrusy in some cases.
I love cigars more then anything but also love to burn a bowl every now and then, but if I had a moist tobacco like VaPer or LatCav blends, I will have a day without a cigar since I dont get the flavor aroma from the cigar after them.
Pure Burleys or Kentuckys are similar to cigars but still the the concentrated heat and vapor makes the palate go wild for a cigar.
Cigar smoke in the other hand I feel its more smoke then vapor but not sure really. A chemist should analise them both.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
My thought is that the smoke from a pipe are mostly vapor that is heated slowly from around the cherry and pipe tobaccos containing more humidity and sugar additives then cigar tobacco, the palate after getting hit by heat and sugar will continue to sense cigar smoke the same way.
Your detailed explanation did not go unnoticed.
What you put forth makes a whole lot of sense.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I feel like I can still taste whatever my last bowl of pipe tobacco was, 2-3 days later. I tend to smoke the pipes, or smoke cigars in stretches but I rarely do both within the same week.