What's new

Anyone do any low light photography?

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I have to dig into my old pics and see if I have any. Probably not, but would be something fun to do if I ever have some time!

Thoes are some really awesome shots! I'd love to get into photography again but don't have the time or the money!
You really don't need a big expensive camera to do it. Although, I have one for a freelance side job. But I used to use point and shoot digital cameras too. Heck you can use your cell phone now-a-days the way the new technology is booming. It's all in the eyes of the person behind the camera or camera phone.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have to dig into my old pics and see if I have any. Probably not, but would be something fun to do if I ever have some time!

You really don't need a big expensive camera to do it. Although, I have one for a freelance side job. But I used to use point and shoot digital cameras too. Heck you can use your cell phone now-a-days the way the new technology is booming. It's all in the eyes of the person behind the camera or camera phone.
This is true. they have long shutter apps now and apps to stack photos. just get a tripod adapter :)

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
That's a good call! I'm getting a galaxy 3 with a 6 or 8 mp camera later this week. Well will c what I can have fun capturing! It's comming from my father in law he's getting an upgrade. He took a pic of some people across part of the grand canyon and when you zoomed in you could see the color of there shirts! No bad for a cell phone

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I like night photography... its so much more calm.. the wait is what I love. Waiting for the right shot. I was in brooklyn the other night sitting on rocks by the shoreline waiting for 7 hours LOL! so I can get the sky the and the tides the way I wanted it. Night time and sunset can be very challenging and require you to actually get your artsy brain rolling. I have a super cool concept I'm heading into times square where I'll be shooting something.. Stay tuned!

On a side night great pics for the OP! I would look for more foreground if I were you.. just my .02 and play with gradients to get the clouds and shadows, and high lights out a little more.. no pun intended just trying to help

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I like night photography... its so much more calm.. the wait is what I love. Waiting for the right shot. I was in brooklyn the other night sitting on rocks by the shoreline waiting for 7 hours LOL! so I can get the sky the and the tides the way I wanted it. Night time and sunset can be very challenging and require you to actually get your artsy brain rolling. I have a super cool concept I'm heading into times square where I'll be shooting something.. Stay tuned!

On a side night great pics for the OP! I would look for more foreground if I were you.. just my .02 and play with gradients to get the clouds and shadows, and high lights out a little more.. no pun intended just trying to help
Thanks! That was my first attempt, Just bought my first DSLR back in March in preparation for my honeymoon in Oct. Always was fascinated by photography, and finally have a chance to start practicing my own :D

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Thanks! That was my first attempt, Just bought my first DSLR back in March in preparation for my honeymoon in Oct. Always was fascinated by photography, and finally have a chance to start practicing my own :D
Ahhhhh, well shit bro! great work for a newb!

If I were you i'd go back and re take the shot for a better angle.. that pic can be 10 tens better! In fact I challenge you to! look for different angles to show different stories. Remember as photographers we are historians through photographs really. So tell a story!

If you got any questions about post process and work flow just shoot me a PM.. I'll help you out with what I can!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ahhhhh, well shit bro! great work for a newb!

If I were you i'd go back and re take the shot for a better angle.. that pic can be 10 tens better! In fact I challenge you to! look for different angles to show different stories. Remember as photographers we are historians through photographs really. So tell a story!

If you got any questions about post process and work flow just shoot me a PM.. I'll help you out with what I can!
That's awesome, and will do. I am going to be taking a quick weekend / camping trip in Aug. Weather permitting I'll attempt some star trails. Get a good shot of the telescope or tent in the foreground, then a ton of exposures of the stars in focus in the background and stitch them all together. (we'll see how it turns out) or even if the weather cooperates for us. But essentially this is the type of stuff I like the most. Landscape and Nightscape / Night Sky stuff. Always up for pointers :)

Also before the honeymoon I wont have the money for a new lens yet, but I may rent one from Borrowlenses.com We'll be hitting up Niagara Falls, upper state Vermont, and parts of Maine. Any recommendations? My kit lens is the 24-85 f3.5, I was thinking about grabbing the 20mm f1.8 for a faster lens and some wider shots, but im open to suggestions.

Edit: My camera is a Nikon D610, if that helps

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
That's awesome, and will do. I am going to be taking a quick weekend / camping trip in Aug. Weather permitting I'll attempt some star trails. Get a good shot of the telescope or tent in the foreground, then a ton of exposures of the stars in focus in the background and stitch them all together. (we'll see how it turns out) or even if the weather cooperates for us. But essentially this is the type of stuff I like the most. Landscape and Nightscape / Night Sky stuff. Always up for pointers :)

Also before the honeymoon I wont have the money for a new lens yet, but I may rent one from Borrowlenses.com We'll be hitting up Niagara Falls, upper state Vermont, and parts of Maine. Any recommendations? My kit lens is the 24-85 f3.5, I was thinking about grabbing the 20mm f1.8 for a faster lens and some wider shots, but im open to suggestions.

Edit: My camera is a Nikon D610, if that helps
Sounds great! can't wait to see! and congrats!!

Honestly you don't need a fast lens right now.. because your doing night shots and you are shooting from a tripod and a cable release cord ( if your not, you should be ASAP) lol

I would get a nice sturdy tripod, a cable release, a nice ND filter, if you insist on picking up glass(lens) then get a wide angle lens ... and some good sticks for the wait!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sounds great! can't wait to see! and congrats!!

Honestly you don't need a fast lens right now.. because your doing night shots and you are shooting from a tripod and a cable release cord ( if your not, you should be ASAP) lol

I would get a nice sturdy tripod, a cable release, a nice ND filter, if you insist on picking up glass(lens) then get a wide angle lens ... and some good sticks for the wait!

I got pretty lucky with the gear, I have a fellow co-worker who is very into Nature photography to the point he takes several trips a year to Alaska and Yellowstone. He ended up selling me a practically new Manfrotto 055MF4 Tripod with a Giottos MH-1001-652 head for $100, then a Hoya ND4 filter for $15, After that, I picked up a B&W UV Haze filter, and their Circular Polarizing to help with skys and water.

As for the shutter release... :blackeye: I've just been using the 2 second timer on the camera to prevent me shaking it. I should probably look into that.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I got pretty lucky with the gear, I have a fellow co-worker who is very into Nature photography to the point he takes several trips a year to Alaska and Yellowstone. He ended up selling me a practically new Manfrotto 055MF4 Tripod with a Giottos MH-1001-652 head for $100, then a Hoya ND4 filter for $15, After that, I picked up a B&W UV Haze filter, and their Circular Polarizing to help with skys and water.

As for the shutter release... :blackeye: I've just been using the 2 second timer on the camera to prevent me shaking it. I should probably look into that.

Very niiceee .. Sheesh hook a brother up! i'll take seconds all day every day! LOL! but yes 2 seconds isn't long enough there is still camera shake wishing 2 seconds .. plus if you want to do really long exposure with you ND filter you are going to need the cable release. Because you can't hold down the shutter button lol