What's new

Anyone experienced with water systems and high iron content?

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Got over 10 ppm iron, multiple types, and sub 5 gpm flow..
Culligan has been royally f'n me for years and I can't afford it anymore.
I know theres a lot of new systems and technology out, but trying to cut through the BS is tough...
Any of you have any knowledge or experience on the subject?

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Is this for drinking water or whole house filtration? I've had an Apec Water RO system for the last 4 years or so and I've been happy with it. Change pre-filters once a year and replace RO membrane every 3-5 years. They offer whole house systems as well, but I have no experience with those. https://www.freedrinkingwater.com/

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Do u own the system or rent or lease it ? I had the same issue in MN, Final bought the system out right, and just bought my own Salt and did all the maintanence on the system myself .....
After moving to SC , water is pretty shitty here also, went through a company out of FL that has office in Columbia , I got a system from them , has Reverse osmosis,
Circulation system, and Salt tank (about 4 of 40 lbs bags ) I change the filter (Amazon) and get the salt where ever it is the cheapest (Home Depot $4.00 ) ....... What He said (y) I have the Whole House system..

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Don't "need" RO or a softener (I hate soft water) and without a good iron removal system anything else would get clogged and ruined quickly.

One of the systems I looked at is from that company @cwant seem like a good place to deal with.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Do you have a basement or room for a pretreatment system? Softening(salt ionic exchange) systems ONLY remove hardness(calcium). Some brands of salt for these systems(redout) basically have either CLR in it to be a solvent or an extra chlorine molecule that acts as an oxidizer for the iron causing it to clump up and fall out of suspension(but that rust still there). The only real treatment for iron oxide is pre filtration. R.o. will work but for a whole house system it can be caustly and usually it only has a 50% efficiency. Do you have a well??? Most of the time the problem can be fixed with cleaning it. All you do is pull you well head off. Poor a cup or two of Clorox bleach (about 3% hypochlorate) and let it sit 8 to 24 hours whatever is reasonable. Then turn the well pump on with the well head off still into the yard. This pumps off all the rust that coagulated from it and kills some of the iron based bacteria that live in it. Best thing to help keep it under control without putting in a system of filters. If its extreme you can treat with potassium permanganate then run through a filter but no body but us municipality people usually do that. Also what is you water source and what kind of piping do you have in your house? Pool? Plant(hippy) water?