What's new

Anyone into competition shooting or the sport in general?

cmhicksusmc

Corporal/USMC
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Just curious if anyone has a passion for competition shooting whether its NRA, interservice or professional. I am very active in the sport and wanted to meet some more of the community! My credentials include:

-Ranked in top 50 Marine Corps Pacific Division in M16 service rifle, M9 service pistol, and service Colt 1911 .45

-Marine Corps Base Hawaii Shooting team member for regular season and summer team

-Recipient of the Finn and Smith trophies

-Primary Marksmanship Instructor qualified as well as Federal Small Arms
Weapons Instructor and Department of Defense Combat Marksmanship Trainer

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I never have but think I t would be a lot of fun. When I shoot these days its usually defensive handgun practice. I've taken some courses in that and love it much more than just standing on a firing line punching holes in paper.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

cmhicksusmc

Corporal/USMC
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
trust me i know what you mean especially being in the military we tend to focus too much on hitting paper than real house to house, street to street fighting so breaking up the monotony is always a welcome relief as long as you have the fundamentals down. Though depending on your state of residence practicing can be a chore just to cross all the red tape that goes into enjoying it. Being originally from Florida was a nice experience but then transitioning to Hawaii ill tell you the laws are absolutely outrageous i cant wait to get back to state that really looks out for its citizens and their rights.
:disappoin

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's see, my "fondest" memory of the House of Horrors...

Door man shooting the concrete in front of the door - instead of the door.

Kicking the door and getting my foot stuck through it. (which was after numbnuts FORGOT the Hooli Tool)

Being #4 man and running dead into a couch, stepping over it and getting stuck, dragging it with me as I engaged targets on the far wall.

Yes, some "wonderful" memories....:headroll:

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Shoot black powder at the local clubs and at the PA Federation of Black Powder Shooters state championship matches. Maybe one day I'll make the trip to Friendship to shoot in the national matches.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I've never had the time, nor put the effort into really being active. I love every shoot I've been to, just too many other things gobbling up time. I've shot IDPA and enjoyed it, plan on trying to get back into it. There is also a local club that does IDPA like events based around Carbines which I've shot with my AR, that is also always a blast.

cmhicksusmc

Corporal/USMC
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I would love to set something up when i get back to Florida in September next year. I've got a pretty decent setup but im always into trying new styles and different types of firearms. right now this is my setup post yours:
-HK Mark23 .45
-Beretta M9 9mm
-Springfield M1A upgraded like crazy thanks to the '2112' armorers in my unit
-Arsenal SAM-7 underfolder
-VEPR 7.62 my favorite rifle ever
-Romanian AK WASR-10

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Besides work shooting I am looking at getting into IDPA. I have a local range around the corner so the fiancee and I can get out often. Since I got hurt I can not do much dynamic shooting so back to the mat for most of it and then the small amount of practical shooting is pure defensive for now.

ThankfulJoe

Rather Be Flying
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I spent a few years shooting Service Rifle and High Power, made 3 or 4 trips to Camp Perry as well for the Nationals. Unfortunately after I joined the Army in 2005 my spare time went to nil. I still make the occasional match as I'm still 7 points short of legging out, but I've always loved the sport.

CW2 Anthony Bailey - Master Class (High Power/Service Rifle)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shot a bit of skeet through middleschool and eventually graduated on to IPSC in highschool. I was among the top five junior shooters in America in B class and multi-time gold medalist in various Florida competitions. I eventually graduated on to 3 gun and tactical carbine. I stopped shooting once I got busy with college but have since briefly participated in precision rifle. I placed 2nd overall in my first and only 600 yrd competition. I would love to get back into 3 gun.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been looking into getting into the following:
SASS
Precision Rifle
Three Gun

Any experience in any of these?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
USPSA shooter here. I'm in the Carolinas and there's about 4 monthly matches in the area. I shot for years when I was younger doing the 'standstill and put holes in paper' thing along with skeet and trap. Decided to get into USPSA a few years back and got hooked after my first match. There's all kinds of skill levels and everyone is so damn nice. Anyone who is thinking about it needs to try it.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
USPSA shooter here. I'm in the Carolinas and there's about 4 monthly matches in the area. I shot for years when I was younger doing the 'standstill and put holes in paper' thing along with skeet and trap. Decided to get into USPSA a few years back and got hooked after my first match. There's all kinds of skill levels and everyone is so damn nice. Anyone who is thinking about it needs to try it.
USPSA is bestest. You NC/SC guys are lucky; there's tons of heat out there.
I've been looking into getting into the following:
SASS
Precision Rifle
Three Gun
Any experience in any of these?
SASS is lame, Precision Rifle is incredibly impressive, and 3G is for people who can't shoot USPSA. Go with PRS.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If they have a "can't hit the broad side of a barn" category I might be interested. I've never been good at shooting but I just had my first ever private pistol lesson. When I started at 25 feet I mainly hit the bottom of the cardboard. (the target holder, not the target. My last 8 were just left of center in the black.
Maybe there's hope...
That was with my Taurus PT 111 G2 with the funky trigger. It was all I could afford when I got me CC. I'll be looking at other guns now. Just joined the local Point Blank Range in Matthews NC.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
If they have a "can't hit the broad side of a barn" category I might be interested.
They do. It's called IDPA.
In all seriousness, while I mock the execution of IDPA as a "sport," it is still a good premise and attracts a lot of people to competitive handgun shooting. If you want to get better at shooting your carry gun, go find a serviceable pistol and then hop into IDPA or USPSA, or both. Actually, I would go watch a match first and then go choose a new blaster.