What's new

Anyone Raise Their Own Food?

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I've got chickens currently for eggs and meat, bit looking to increase my flock and add ducks as well as a few Kune Kune pigs in the next 18 months or so I'll have fresh meat for smoking and curing.

Anyone else raise livestock?

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
We have 10 chickens right now. Moved to our current place in August last summer so no time to get a garden in. The plan for this year is to get a garden established, plant some berries and fruit trees, increase our flock and of course try and fill the freezer with venison, turkey, ducks and fish. We are trying to raise/hunt/gather as much of our food as possible. Currently have our maple trees tapped.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I was hesitant at first, but amazed at how easy they are to raise. Love the eggs, and the one we've BBQed was great. Lost most of my flock to hawks recently, so will be picking up Black Copper Maran chicks soon and am also starting ducks this year.

Will also be constructing bee hives this year to install bees next spring and working on a pig paddock to hopefully buy a pair of Kune Kune piglets either this fall or next spring as well.

Hoping that within 2 years all of our meat will be raised on our property if all goes well.

Also going to be working to upgrade my grilling and smoking area by then as well. Just wish our finances could keep pace with my ideas...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
I was hesitant at first, but amazed at how easy they are to raise. Love the eggs, and the one we've BBQed was great. Lost most of my flock to hawks recently, so will be picking up Black Copper Maran chicks soon and am also starting ducks this year.

Will also be constructing bee hives this year to install bees next spring and working on a pig paddock to hopefully buy a pair of Kune Kune piglets either this fall or next spring as well.

Hoping that within 2 years all of our meat will be raised on our property if all goes well.

Also going to be working to upgrade my grilling and smoking area by then as well. Just wish our finances could keep pace with my ideas...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Hopefully I'll be able to upgrade soon to a place outside city limits and do the same. That combined with the meat harvested from hunting and veggies grown will be more than enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
It's a Velcro collar that goes around their neck under their feathers which prevents them from getting out a full crow.

Easy to find plans on Google to make them cheap.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I'm a beekeeper
Tell me more...

Seriously considering starting this... but lots of conflicting information on the interwebz..

trying to figure it all out before we take the plunge and set up a hive..

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
i plan on utilizing our property for berries, apples, and chickens. once i establish that i might consider other live stock.

for those of you that raise egg chickens. what do you do with the old hens that stop laying eggs? i would feel feeding chickens that aren't producing a waste $.