What's new

Anyone Rent Movies Online???

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I'm tired of BlockBuster Online because all they have are widescreen movies. Has anyone Used NetFlix and do they carry fullscreen versions of all the new releases? LMK!

GuyMcBeerdrinker

poonsmith
Rating - 90%
20   2   1
I have netflix and I love it. if you pick up a certain few tricks you can even use it more efficiently.

I think you'll find that in general new releases are being pushed out with more widescreen versions. at netflix I have seen both formats for some movie titles. I don't know how you would go about specifing which one you prefer. maybe you check a preferance box when you originally sign up or something, I have been with them for over 3 years (I think) so I really don't remember.

as far as tricks I can tell you about. one biggie. they don't really push new releases, they have them but they don't advertise them on their site. what I do is browse blockbuster online and look at what is new out there and upcoming releases. I type those movie titles into my netflix search box and I place the movies in my queue.

the reason I have heard they do this is to sorta curb demand on new releases. if they featured "true" -- they have a new release section but you'll see while they are "new" they aren't so recent, if that makes any sense -- they would have to buy a bunch of movies to meet their initial demand which would raise their operating cost.

I love it because they have a LOT of movies that are not carried by blockbuster or wal-mart. lots and lots of foreign, indie, music, etc. films.

I haven't paid attention in a while, but I believe there is a referral code included with each movie I receive. not that I would get anything but you would get your first month for free.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I think most studios are releasing new features in widescreen only.

The days of both for general releases are past I think.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
GuyMcBeerdrinker said:
I love it because they have a LOT of movies that are not carried by blockbuster or wal-mart. lots and lots of foreign, indie, music, etc. films.
Just a FYI; Wal-mart handed over their online movie rental customers to Netflix a month or two ago.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
allanf said:
I think most studios are releasing new features in widescreen only.

The days of both for general releases are past I think.
This is what i've been noticing also. Seems like more and more TV's wide screen's now also.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I haven't gotten a DVD player yet so I don't rent any. Is the wide screen thing you're refering to where the top and bottom of the screen are black bands? I hate that and if a movie on cable is shown that way I won't watch it. I don't see where it adds anything to the experience. Maybe if I had a huge TV screen or something but mines only 27" and I don't plan on getting a bigger one.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Exactly...I just can't stand the blank top and bottom of the screen. Sure if I had 4g's to go buy a plasma then I wouldn't be complaining. I guess I'll just have to make due...

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
LOL. My wife is the same way. She hates the wide screen. I prefer it. Those black bands just "disappear" for me when I'm watching a movie. :dunno: I wish I had a true widescreen TV, but that's way way down the road.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I can't stand when they adjust the movie to fit a 4:3 tv. I would rather see letterboxed movies than miss part of it, especially if its a classic. I have a few cheaper releases which are dual sided with one format on one side.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I only watch movies on my 65" widescreen.

I specifically look for the widescreen versions of movies.

For cryin' out loud, even the kids screen in the Pacifica is widescreen. :dunno:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using NetFlix for over two years with never a problem with them, great company and great customer service. They sometimes offer movies in both versions, but when that's the case, I always, always always opt for the widescreen.