What's new

anyone shot uspsa open?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Going to be in the open class. Due to thef fact my hand guns all have red dots.
Are they actual open guns, or just guns you happened to throw a red dot on? There's a huge difference.

Have you shot any form of competition before?

In Open, you have to be able to do everything on the move - including shooting - to be competitive.
To see what I mean, watch the stage that starts at 0:55. You will notice that EG never stops moving to take targets.

Pick up the literature and DVD(s) available from Ben Stoeger.
Read the Brian Enos forum and The Doodie Project. Doodie has a lot of abrasive personalities, but there's some very knowledgable people hanging out there. It is the forum Stoeger set up.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Thanks for the info!! The gun I will b using is a Glock 17. Because of my eyes I use red dots on all my pistols. I shot idpa for a while but found it rather boring.... my main goal with shooting in open is to force myself to get better at reloads, shooting while moving as while as all other shooting basics. I've been shooting for over 20 years, but I need to compete against people that shoot better than me so I can get better.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Sounds like you've got the right attitude. You'll have a lot of fun.

I personally think you should set up a Glock for Open. You'll still be learning how to use the dot and press the trigger, but you won't be giving yourself a big equipment handicap. Assuming you want to be competitive, some people do not.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at some of the Zombie shoots to bring your competition skills up. They are fun shoots (2 and 3 gun or just handgun) but can get as tight as you want them to be! John & Mel set up some fine, and sometimes wierd range layouts.