What's new

Anything new in last 5 years with the Special Edition/FR Padron cigars? Wedding coming up

tfb5701

In Hoc Signo Vinces
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A little backstory. I'm getting married in November. I used to smoke a lot more than I do now, currently its just once or twice a month. I smoke a mix of CC and NC. The wedding reception location has a dedicated cigar room and I've ordered a variety of CC boxes for the wedding(many of my friends and groomsmen smoke CC). What I'm trying to decide on now is what cigar I'm going to smoke. I love a bunch of CC's but short of the Behike I had and a couple others, my go-to, reliable, always can trust it, nice/special occasion cigar has always been a Padron 1926 Maduro (No. 47 or No. 6 Robusto). Love the perfect construction and draw, plus great flavor. Since I haven't been as actively smoking and buying lately, are there any of the current Padron Maduro Family Reserve or special editions I should look into? Back when I was really active in cigar smoking between 2009-2014, I had some that rivaled the regular 1926 maduro and some that did not live up to the hype. Budget isn't really an issue but I don't want to buy a $40 stick thats "meh" or the same as the $25-ish 1926 Maduro.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little backstory. I'm getting married in November. I used to smoke a lot more than I do now, currently its just once or twice a month. I smoke a mix of CC and NC. The wedding reception location has a dedicated cigar room and I've ordered a variety of CC boxes for the wedding(many of my friends and groomsmen smoke CC). What I'm trying to decide on now is what cigar I'm going to smoke. I love a bunch of CC's but short of the Behike I had and a couple others, my go-to, reliable, always can trust it, nice/special occasion cigar has always been a Padron 1926 Maduro (No. 47 or No. 6 Robusto). Love the perfect construction and draw, plus great flavor. Since I haven't been as actively smoking and buying lately, are there any of the current Padron Maduro Family Reserve or special editions I should look into? Back when I was really active in cigar smoking between 2009-2014, I had some that rivaled the regular 1926 maduro and some that did not live up to the hype. Budget isn't really an issue but I don't want to buy a $40 stick thats "meh" or the same as the $25-ish 1926 Maduro.
Im a fan of the 1926 80 year myself

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
They have the TAA from this year and maybe a few others that could be acquired, but I don't believe they are any better than the one you already know you enjoy. If it were me, I wouldn't chance it and I'd smoke what I know I love. Congrats on starting the next chapter.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
You think about an old Sig VI or Hoyo? Heck any 10+ yo Cohiba.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Honestly, the Padron 50th came to mind, but I'm not sure how much time you'll actually have that day to enjoy a smoke of that size. Everyone's going to pull you in 100 different ways. And when this all happened, I wanted to focus on my gorgeous bride. If there's one thing I really wanted, it would've been her taking some pictures with me, each holding a glass of bourbon or another libation and a cigar in hand, just the two of us. Google some pictures if you have the chance. Some of the photographers really nailed it.

It's funny this was mentioned, I refused to smoke any cigars until after my wedding day and with my wife with me. Now, the cigar smoke really gets to her more times than not, so she's never really with hanging out when I smoke. But this one time, I asked her to sit with me, shoot the shit and try her best because I wanted to remember this one, my 1st cigar as a married man. I had a CC Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure #2 which I purchased while in Bermuda on vacation (with my wife, who at the time of said vacation was just my girlfriend). This is great how I still remember that moment and day since I suffer from "CRS" (can't remember sh*t!!!!). It was such an amazing smoke too, with 2 years of rest on it and God knows how long before I purchased it, I'll never know.

Back on topic now....
I'd recommend going with the short time smokes, whatever your preference would be. Hopefully, you'll have some time to sneak away with the guys for a few and enjoy a cocktail and a smoke together.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. A little word of advice, from a somewhat newlywed- she's always right, even when she's wrong. You won't win.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Basically, most of what I was thinking @CVAC085 nailed above. If you have the time at the reception to sit down and smoke a cigar, that would be surprising. I got married 3 years ago and the reception was a whirlwind, it felt like 30 minutes total because it was non-stop but in reality it was hours; a whole lot of "do this, go here, talk to them, go there, do that."
Having just smoked a Family Reserve 45 this past week so it's still fresh on my mind, it was a great cigar. Was it almost $30 worth of great? No. Would I have been just as happy with a 1964 Exclusivo Maduro for half the price? Yes. That's the funny thing with Padron, once you hit the lower end of the 1926 series, in my opinion, the law of diminishing returns kicks in, at least in the sense of "is this a better cigar?" However, it's your wedding day so you get to smoke what you want, if you can! I don't think you'll go wrong whatever you choose, whether it's a Family Reserve of some sort, or your favorite 1926 Maduro. Congratulations either way!

Sine-Qua-Non

Sine-Something-Or-Other
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP, unless you dislike torpedos/perfectos, the 40th Torpedo and 80th Perfecto would be my very strong recommendation. For me, the 80th wins by a large margin, but they are both outstanding sticks with razor-sharp burn, and amazingly thick, but compliant draw. For me the flavor profile of the 80th just pleases me a bit more than the 40th. If you have a chance to try one or both before the big event, I'd recommend it, as you never truly know how a stick will suit you until you turn it to ash. If you can't get ahold of one before then, I'd still take the gamble with one of them. Worst case scenario, just get a standard '26 in a vitola you know you love. For me, the '26 No. 2 maduro would be hard to pass up on.

And pre-congratulations!

tfb5701

In Hoc Signo Vinces
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for all the input. Its been awhile but I remember liking the FR 44 and I'm pretty sure I had the 45 but I don't really remember. I had the 80th as the cigar I smoked after college graduation but it was a long crazy night and while I remember liking it, I don't quite recall all the nuances. It was a special cigar for a special occasion but probably not the ideal time to analyze and savor it. The reality is I'll probably have 30 minutes to smoke for the wedding reception.

tfb5701

In Hoc Signo Vinces
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP, unless you dislike torpedos/perfectos, the 40th Torpedo and 80th Perfecto would be my very strong recommendation. For me, the 80th wins by a large margin, but they are both outstanding sticks with razor-sharp burn, and amazingly thick, but compliant draw. For me the flavor profile of the 80th just pleases me a bit more than the 40th. If you have a chance to try one or both before the big event, I'd recommend it, as you never truly know how a stick will suit you until you turn it to ash. If you can't get ahold of one before then, I'd still take the gamble with one of them. Worst case scenario, just get a standard '26 in a vitola you know you love. For me, the '26 No. 2 maduro would be hard to pass up on.

And pre-congratulations!
I didn't mention it but reading your post reminded me of the other thing I love about the nicer Padrons. The thickness of the smoke.
You think about an old Sig VI or Hoyo? Heck any 10+ yo Cohiba.

I thought about it but with the variability in some cubans, I'd want to buy at least a few from the same box and test a couple beforehand. I've been burned with construction/draw issues on CC much more often than NC. Thats one of the reasons I love the Padron 1926, construction and draw reliability.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I had a 50th Hammer maduro in my jacket on my wedding day. I had too much fun enjoying my day that I didn’t even think to smoke. I finally lit it up when I got to our bungalow in Bora Bora.

Enjoy your day, don’t worry about the celebratory cigar. Light one up when you have nothing but time.

Sine-Qua-Non

Sine-Something-Or-Other
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn't mention it but reading your post reminded me of the other thing I love about the nicer Padrons. The thickness of the smoke.

I thought about it but with the variability in some cubans, I'd want to buy at least a few from the same box and test a couple beforehand. I've been burned with construction/draw issues on CC much more often than NC. Thats one of the reasons I love the Padron 1926, construction and draw reliability.
Sounds like you might have your decision made, hahaha.

Can’t go wrong with Padron, at least in my eyes.