What's new

Apple Keynote: Sept 2017

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Another year, another Apple Keynote is in the books. What are you most excited about?

Can I just say, all of the above!? (y) I'm definitely going to upgrade your 3 Apple TVs to the new AppleTV 4K and pre-order the iPhone X. I'd love to get the Apple Watch Series 3 sometime in January.

Exciting stuff!

Last edited:

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I was keeping up via one of the live blogs, and these two quotes summed up the day for me:

"Jony Ive's voice just came out of a poop and then an angry chicken."
"All those people in Whole Foods going to be holding up the line staring into their $1k iPhone X's to authenticate"

I do appreciate that the newer camera tech looks sweet, but there was nothing else there that made me want to run out and do anything other than pick up a used iPhone 7 Plus when everyone upgrades (which, if you are, shoot me a PM!).

The slogan for this year's event should be "iPhone: we hope you really love your freakin' face." Which, @bwhite220 clearly does, so this should be just perfect for him. :D

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
"All those people in Whole Foods going to be holding up the line staring into their $1k iPhone X's to authenticate"
LOL! That's a really good point!

nothing else there that made me want to run out and do anything other than pick up a used iPhone 7 Plus when everyone upgrades (which, if you are, shoot me a PM!).
I'll let you know.

The slogan for this year's event should be "iPhone: we hope you really love your freakin' face." Which, @bwhite220 clearly does, so this should be just perfect for him. :D
Just imagine all the new coffee mugs I could create... :angelic:

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
A grand for the X. Damn.
I was just doing a side-by-side comparison of the 8Plus and the X and I'm not sure if I want to do the X now. It is $200 more than the 8 Plus and the only additional technology is a better, bigger, brighter screen in a smaller format and a better front-facing camera. Yes, the Face ID is pretty cool but I don't know if that's a game changer for me. I'll have to think on this more...

the X doesn't have a home button either, scary
No, but it does have the Face ID technology. They said in the key note that the finger print could be reproduced with 1 in 50,000 odds. Face ID would be 1 in 1,000,000 odds. So, more secure actually!

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
what do I press to go back to the home screen though?
You just swipe up from the bottom to go to the home screen. Also, swiping up and holding your finger there for a second will put you in multitask mode. They made the lock button a little larger on the side and that is what you hold down to activate Siri. ...or, just say, "Hey, Siri" like a normal person. :)

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I was just doing a side-by-side comparison of the 8Plus and the X and I'm not sure if I want to do the X now. It is $200 more than the 8 Plus and the only additional technology is a better, bigger, brighter screen in a smaller format and a better front-facing camera. Yes, the Face ID is pretty cool but I don't know if that's a game changer for me. I'll have to think on this more...

No, but it does have the Face ID technology. They said in the key note that the finger print could be reproduced with 1 in 50,000 odds. Face ID would be 1 in 1,000,000 odds. So, more secure actually!
I'm with you on the comparison between the two. The x is very cool looking with it not having a home button but there is really a huge difference detergent the two to make me want to pay that much.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
9to5Mac did a great job condensing the whole Keynote to under 12 minutes in this video: .

0:12 - Apple Watch Series 3
1:51 - AppleTV 4K
3:10 - iPhone 8 & 8Plus
6:44 - Apple X
10:33 - AirPower

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Good call, bro. I know I don't need any higher res on the selfies you keep sending me. ;)

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I think the X was Apple's way of getting people to buy the 8. Kinda like when companies create the impression of value by cranking up the MSRP and then putting it on sale. By comparison, the 8 feels like a value, because it does most of what the X does, just with a less fancy screen. So between the two, everyone goes for the 8.

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
My phone is going to be due for an update, so I will probably pickup the 8 plus. Maybe its just me but I'm not liking the face ID. Airpower would be nice, but I don't know if the ease of Airpower would make we want to by an iPhone X. Nothing else really caught my attention (This coming from the IT guy who is surrounded by 5 apple devices on my desk at the moment). When my Apple TVs die I probably will pickup a 4k Apple TV, but its not something I am going to jump at right now.