What's new

Are Cigar Auctions websites worth the effort?

Cigar auctions websites worth the effort?

• Yes, you can get some awesome deals

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • You might save 5% to 10%

Votes: 28 16.6%
  • No, you usually end up paying list price or more

Votes: 14 8.3%
  • I have never used a cigar auction

Votes: 45 26.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Are Cigar Auctions websites worth the effort?

-Yes, you can get some awesome deals
-You might save 5% to 10%.
-No, you usually end up paying list price or more
-I have never used a cigar auction

Which ones do you like and which do you dislike?

Last edited:

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Voted: Never used them

I don't really have enough cigar knowledge to know whether or not I'm getting a good deal. I usually stick to cigarsinternation or buying on BOTL

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Easily worth it if you target what you want at the price you want and win more than one per shipping cycle. Period. Stray from that philosophy and you either spend too much or start piling up crap you don't want....or both

Last week, 28 cigars THAT I WANTED for under $120 shipped (cbid):
15-Man O' War (8 Vir, 3 Ruin, 1 Puro Auth, 3 basic)
7-Graycliff Crystal Presidente
3-Jaime Garcia Reserva Esp Toro Gordo
2-E.P. Carrillo Short Run '11 Bombones
1-San Cristobal Sel Del Sol Fireplug

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
you can get some really good on the less popular brands but if you want tatuaje, DPG, Fuente forget it. The key to getting the great deals is patience because a lot of "idiots" out there here auction and think they are getting good deals. I've only used Cbid and CigarAuctioneer it's scary how quickly you can overbuy though.

JP8

USAF Retired
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
As mentioned above, there are deals to be had. It helps if you do some research on what you want and consider shipping costs etc before placing a bid.

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
I have scored some great deals with patience. On the flip side I see idiots pay crazy money for some things.
Yes. "Patience" is the key with these sites and I would add "Discipline," as well. It's sometimes too easy to get caught up in a bidding war. :bigeyes: Know what you want to spend to make it a good deal and don't be disappointed if you don't get it.... never chase after something.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
You can get awesome deals if you don't have the "gotta have it now" mentality. My last good deal were Tat SW fivers for $30 something.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I started an account on CBid, but have yet to bid on anything. I'd rather support local businesses, and since there are some awesome B&M's around me... it all works out.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I have once, but because you don't pay taxes it's very possible you will have to pay back taxes if you're not careful.
very possible?

I'm curious as to who has good gouge on this? Couple years ago, I heard about a couple states that targeted a couple/few folks (maybe MN and NJ?) But that seemed to have been a rare exception and I've heard nothing since. Are people still getting 'the letter' (NC version)?

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've saved a lot of money on them. But as has been said, you have to work it and be patient. I usually look for closing auctions and see whats happening, or go the falling auction route.

keinreis

BoM Oct '11
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
I never find anything I want to buy on auction sites. They seem to be stock that does not move. The things they do have that is top shelf stuff goes for retail, or sightly below

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just get a pretty good deal on a box. They are def worth taking a look at in my mind. I looked for a while before making a purchase, but i saved alot...

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
It depends on how patient/disciplined you are and what you're looking for. If you're after Tats, LP, Padron, etc then you're not going to get a good deal on any auction site. They're just too popular. I got my camo Palio at half of what I've seen it elsewhere. It took me a few tries, but I got it. I've also gotten good deals on less familiar brands. I like buying singles on stuff I want to try, I can usually get 'em cheaper than what they sell for on CI or Famous.

Dan

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Between cbid and cigarauctioneer, I've gotten some truly stellar deals. Obviously it's a great place to get their exclusive stuff, but it's a great place for big brands too.

Not to diss or contradict my fine fellows here, but I'd gotten tons of DPG and Tatuaje stuff on auction, most recently a box of Tat Especiales at cheaper than anywhere else. It's a matter of patience. In general, the newer something is the less likely you are to get a deal because the demand is high. If you're going for older nice stuff, you're chances are MUCH better.

TIP: You will typically get better deals by the BOX, but in some cases people are after boxes and don't bother bidding on 5-packs, so you can sometimes get a better deal there! I recommend doing research for a couple weeks and taking notes on prices if you're concerned.

TIP 2: I've had pretty good luck with daily auctions! The # of people looking at any specific lot is reduced if it's only up for 24-hours.

Also, I don't know how often it's updated these days, but there is always:
c-h-i-m-p.com