What's new

Are there any genuine non aromatics?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I love cigars and have been on the hunt for a pipe tobacco that is true to the leaf the way a nice cuban is. No additives or crazy preserving processes.

I have tries the big names, nightcap, frog morton etc, about 20 tins and I can taste aromatics or weird flavours in all of them. I had high hopes for petersons irish flake because every review says no flavor added, nutty, true tobacco. Upon opening the tin it smelled like raisins, not tobacco and smoked like aniseed licorice all the way down. How anyone can say this is natural tobacco is beyond me.

Same deal with gawith st james, tasted like fairy floss and sugar casing was so thick it stuck to my teeth.

Anyone know of a true non aromatic that is just leaf, no bs?

Thanks

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Welcome to Botl. Most of those blends are truly not aromatic and not cased. If you are wanting a pipe tobacco to taste like a cigar then you should search for some cigar leaf blends, but pipe tobacco is vastly different from cigar tobacco and is going to taste very different. Virginias can be grassy/citrus, perique can be musty/spice, Latakia can be straight camp fire in your mouth. I suggest trying Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake for a straightforward VA flake. Keep in mind it isn't going to taste anything like a cigar.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Ok, you bring up a good point and I misused the word cased instead of topped earlier. A casing should not add any flavor, just moisture and usually a preservative. A topping will add an artificial flavoring.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
just leaf no bs? probably tabac manil la brumuse?
Definitely, any of the 3 Tabac Manil Semois tobaccos are pure. The only difference is in the cut supposedly. I find the La Brumese and Reserve du Patron to be fuller tobacco flavor than Le Petit Robin. Anything with Latakia in it will have a smoky taste, but it's not casing or topping, it's how the tobacco is processed. So maybe stay away from English/Balkan style belnds.
Here are some that come to mind:
C&D Billy Budd
C&D Cube Cut Burley
C&D Haunted Bookshop
C&D Morley's Best
C&D Sansepolcro
G&H Dark Birdseye
G&H Kendall Dark
G&H Kendall Kentucky
Samuel Gawith Brown #4
Robert McConnell Scottish Flake
Solani Aged Burley Flake
Solani Silver Flake

Have fun finding the right tobacco for you. I have so far tried 130+ blends to find mine :cool:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys

Well I like pipe tobacco, it has nice sweet and peppery notes but I just feel they are missing bass. Some of them are like air with a hint of chemical flavorings but others are really high quality tobacco but i just wish they had deeper, earthier notes.

The trouble is that a lot of cigars are all bass and have no complexity in the top notes, some are just bland and boring smoke. I chopped up a montecristo #4 and put it in my pipe. It was nice but waaaay too strong because pipes dont have that filter effect of cigars. I then mixed some of the cigar leaf into my irish flake and holy sh*t. Its like a really earthy cuban with the sweet and spicy top notes of the pipe tobacco. The aniseed was still there but that just means i need to mix it with a pipe tobacco that has a pleasing flavor profile. The combinations are endless. It was like smoking a high quality cuban for a fraction of the cost with zero waste and zero chance of getting an overly tight or loose cigar. Best of both worlds and they combine to be even better than the original cigar and original pipe tobacco.

I think I have found my way of smoking. 70% pipe tobacco and use cigars as a condiment. Cigars add instant bass to the rather empty by nice tasting pipe tobacco. That monte/irish pipe could rival just about any cuban I have smoked and I get 12-20 smokes of it rather than just one expensive experience. Probably not a new discovery but glad I found it. Now I get to enjoy all the mixing and matching of different cigars with different pipe tobaccos :)

I found the cigar tobacco smoldered in the pipe and kepty the rather moist pipe tobacco lit leaving me with a really cool pipe that simply wouldnt go out. No relights for the first time lol.

Recommend it to anyone that find pipes a little on the mild and empty side.

Thanks again, will be sticking with the pipe from here on in. :)

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I have had success making some pipe tobacco more to my taste by mixing different blends together. Never thought about chopping up a cigar, but my Habanos stash is getting slim, so I'll not chop any of those up. Cool idea though. You want some bass notes with complexity, try G&H Happy Brown Bogie. It has some sweetness, but mostly full bodied dark tobacco goodness IMO. It's a rope, which are a little difficult to deal with, but you can also buy a ready rubbed version called Brown Twist Sliced.

P.S. try any of the tobaccos I listed above and I guarantee you won't find anything there even close to mild and empty. These are all full bodied/strong tobaccos.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ak. I will try get my hands on a few tins and will also get some of that tabac manil la brumuse as a solid burley could be a good base for taking on the characteristics of cigars.

I must say, after another bowl of peterson irish with monte 4, am starting to love the irish flake :)

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
You are very welcome! I also thought the Peterson Irish Flake was a little too sweet, so I mix it 50/50 with McConnell Scottish Flake and it's perfect for me.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Since you mention cigar leaf, there are a number of blends that incorporate cigar leaf to give it more oomph: Pease Robusto, Pease Key Largo, Pipewerks & Wilke Churchill, C & D Havana Dream, and McC Dominican Glory to name a few.

Instead of sacrificing your sticks, you could also just pick up some of the bulk blending tobacco from an online retailer.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a pipe tabacco called Spectre by AJ Fernandez, it is a pipe tabacco made to resemble Spectre cigars. I started out as a pipe smoker and loved latakia tabacco so I decided to try Spectre cigars which have Latakia in them. Later on they introduced a Spectre pipe tabacco so I decided to try the pipe tabacco. It wasnt my cup of tea as a pipe tabacco but it may fit what you're looking for.

OleVaSmoker

Leafman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunhill 965 has changed my perception of pipe tobacco as a whole.
I first got some Sutliff math to 965 and then went straight to the dunhill version and it hit all notes for me.
Deep smoky sweet but not overwhelming and let’s the flavors of each tobacco take a turn hitting your palate over and over again. Everyone is different and coming from cigars almost a year ago I didn’t know what to expect completely but glad I stuck it out and found some very good stuff and also learned a good bit about tobaccos and am still learning.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having come from Cigars to Pipes I had a separate experience.

For me it was the cigars that were too one dimensional whereas pipe tobaccos just opened a whole new world as to the different nuances between a heavy Latakia blend to a more balanced Virginia blend.

The one that hit home for me though was MacBaren Old Dark Fired.

It’s the blend I smoke the most and (to me) has a profile similar to a nice full bodied cigar.

Just goes to show how tastes very from person to person.