What's new

ashtray finish

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
anyone ever experience an ashtray or wet rag flavor on the finish of some cigars? it is different from the bitter vinegar flavor from young cigars. i recently smoked a cigar that had some decent chocolate/cinnamon/pumpkin pie flavors upfront, but as they faded all that was left was this dank ashtray flavor. I only smoked about 1/3 as a result. Anyone know what causes this? is it a permanent trait or can it go away with age?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Could the cigar be to wet? If stored in proper conditions I believe the driest part of the cigar tends to be the foot (open to the environment) and the cigar gets progressively wetter the closer to the cap you go. As you smoke you heat the unburned tobacco in the cigar releasing moisture and other volatiles that move down toward the clipped cap. I will occasionally have cigars go out or become hard to keep lit when there is only a couple of inches left, I attribute this to the nub getting damper from tars and water build up.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Haven't had that experience, acer, though I think I'd prefer an ashtray flavored cigar over a chocolate cinnamon pumpkin pie flavored one. ;) :LOL:
ha. i'm pretty versatile. i enjoy the padron's with baking chocolate notes as well as the ones that taste pretty much like straight up tobacco. as long as it's tobacco and not ashtray.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Could the cigar be to wet? If stored in proper conditions I believe the driest part of the cigar tends to be the foot (open to the environment) and the cigar gets progressively wetter the closer to the cap you go. As you smoke you heat the unburned tobacco in the cigar releasing moisture and other volatiles that move down toward the clipped cap. I will occasionally have cigars go out or become hard to keep lit when there is only a couple of inches left, I attribute this to the nub getting damper from tars and water build up.
i don't think so, my tupperdore currently hovers in the low 60s, and i don't live in a humid climate. i have also stored the cigars that inspired this post in the same environment as others that don't have the problem. i only smoke 1-2 a week, maybe it is a trait of cheaper tobacco that wouldn't be picked up by someone who smokes a lot more?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Quite possible, what where they was it consistent around a brand and vitola or random among different cigars? If it's random it is something you are doing or something the people you bought them from is doing. If it's consistent you just don't like the flavor profile of the cigar.

I used to buy cigars from a B&M but noticed I didn't enjoy their cigars as much as the ones I ordered or bought somewhere else. They are simply doing something wrong in their humidor.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As strange as it may seem I get that from the Drew Estates Papas Fritas. I bought a 5ver a few years ago and had one. Ashtray. I gave a couple to a friend. He loved them. I had another a few months ago and same thing. I feel like the next one I try I have to take super duper slow and see how things go.
I generally smoke smaller ring gauge cigars but never have issue with that taste on anything else.

YamRZ350

Wrench Thrower
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As strange as it may seem I get that from the Drew Estates Papas Fritas. I bought a 5ver a few years ago and had one. Ashtray. I gave a couple to a friend. He loved them. I had another a few months ago and same thing. I feel like the next one I try I have to take super duper slow and see how things go.
I generally smoke smaller ring gauge cigars but never have issue with that taste on anything else.
That's a horrible story. I love those things!