What's new

Audio/Video Nerds

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
We all love cigars here but I am willing to bet there are more than a few of you that multiple hobbies.

For me it's a audio/video equipment. I have had/sold a bunch of speakers/amps/televisions/projectors over the years and find this to be a fun hobby. Before cigars went out of control with my play money I would collect and sometimes restore older speakers or subs.

Having hit on rough times during 2010/2011 I sold off most of what I had bought or restored over the years. However, in subsequent years following my sell-off I was finally able to get a few news toys and I am slowly getting back into looking for more junk to make the wife holler!

How about any of you? Are there any brothers who have a kick-ass home theater or stereo setup? Post some pics and tell us what you have!

Right now I am running a 5.1 HSU setup with 4 HB-1 Mk2 bookshelf speakers and one HC-1 Mk2 MTM as my center. My sub is a VTF-15h and my amp is a Denon X1000. My TV is bargin-barn as I am working on a projector... It's a 65" Vizio M series but it does the job for the time being. Really nothing fancy and fairly mid-end overall but for the money it's a great value. I'll post some pictures in the morning...

If you'd like to share your setup or maybe you're like me and build OR restore speakers, tell me about it. I enjoy hearing and seeing what other people have. Hell, id be willing to bet that a few of you actually have dedicated theaters in your home--this is another project I plan to work on in the next year or so. :cool:

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I help a buddy mix match and build on his audio set up! I used to be a big car audio buff but with the lol ones I've toned it down. I'm hoping to build a man cave InThe empty bedroom in my basement w a kick ass stereo audio set up here in a year or so

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I recently obtained a Panasonic AR100U an 10 foot manual screen. I am very happy with the projector. The screen has some waves in it, but it's not distracting unless the camera pans.

I have a home theater PC that I store all my movies on, so everything is "on demand".

For audio, I am currently using a 5.1 setup based around a Denon 1911. I like to build my speakers, too. I always thought buying speakers was crazy. You pay for champaign and get water, for the most part. Far too expensive for the performance level you get. If you have the skill to build a box and solder, you really should assemble your own. You will get a far better system than you could buy at 3x the price. My mains are a pair of TriTrix speakers built from a parts express kit. They perform WAY above their pay grade. I have two more TriTrix kits ready to build for the surround speakers, but I haven't followed through with that project yet. My current surrounds are Sony bookshelf speakers. My center is also a Sony. My sub is another home built, designed around a 12" Titanic sub, again from Parts Express.

We recently picked up a 4k Vizio TV. It's nice. Now we just need some programming for it. But we really only use that to watch TV, not movies.

I don't have a lot of money for this type of stuff, but I love watching and listening to movies in a top notch environment. Doing a lot of homework and being patient has helped me put together a pretty good system.

Now, I just need a dedicated HT room! Maybe our next house...

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Not mine (I wish it was) but I have had a chance to build and play with some awesome stuff over the years...

This one was right after installation. We went back and re-routed that one cable as well as the umbilical harnesse (big black bundles of cables).

Last edited:

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
So, uhh, damn...

I was just looking for a place to ask about the best ways of adding extra speakers to a system, but this thread has me awed...

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I used be into vintage 2 channel audio for music. I still have my system but I don't listen to it often. With winter here I will listen more. I will try to get a couple of pics of the amps and speakers. Amps are from 1964 and the speakers from 1975.

Lol, I just realized this thread has risen from the grave. Oh well, fun subject.

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My dad just finished his 7 seat 4k home theater with 7.2.4 dolby atmos. I'll get some finish pics next time I'm there but these are the pics I have so far. His movie collection is something like 3000 dvd, ~500blu ray, and maybe 100 4k.
20180917_214942.jpg 20180916_191827.jpg 20180916_191815.jpg 20180916_191809.jpg 20180916_191803.jpg 20180916_191757.jpg

In retrospect, that is pretty much it finished lol