What's new

Avo 787 Robusto for a little spin

JMN

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
AVO 787 Robusto:

Pre light:
Bumpy cap that is also a little rough in construction
Large veins showing in what appears to be a pretty dark tint, on the medium scale, sun grown wrapper, haven’t looked it up, but probably Ecuadorian.
The wrapper also had a very nice light spice and cedary draw.

The Smoking:
This cigar was a little hard to light and the wrapper seemed thick and pliable, other than then the cap this cigar was ready for a brawl. The construction was very nice, definitely a cigar that could sit in you shirt pocket and forget it was there and you would be just fine. Once lit though she burned like a champ. The taste of light cedar and spice on pre light was the taste of the cigar upon lighting; you wouldn’t be disappointed there. There was some nutmeg and cream in the background for the first third followed by soft cheese, almost Brie flavors through the nose. The taste was not harsh, but like a lot of NC’s the taste bit the tongue rather than slipping over it. Lots of smoke.

The rest of the cigar pretty much smoked that way, with the nutmeg and spice dropping off and the creaminess and cedar taste intensifying. The last third brought back some of the spice, with just a hint of bitterness.

The finish was pretty long, not something I expected. I wouldn’t say it lingered forever, but not short. I also only had to touch the cigar up once.

I had heard not so great things about this cigar when they first hit the market, and it appears the additional aging that this cigar received (6 or so months) seemed to have really helped it. The cigar was not harsh to me.

I you liked the AVO LE’s, especially the LE 08 and 07, you won’t be disappointed as the flavor is somewhat between them and the Winston Churchill Chequers vitola.

Pretty nice stick, price not factored. With price it fits into the Avo portfolio about where it should.

Attachments