What's new

AVO cigars

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I went to my local cigar shop yesterday to see what they had and saw AVO cigars. I did a search on here and came up nothing. Have any of you guys tried these stick?
What do you think?

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
I tend to enjoy the Domaines. The others are a bit mild for my tastes (although I haven't tried the maduros). The tend to be a bit pricey thought.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I think I got one about two years ago in one of those free-cigar-in-the-mail promotions. Do not remember if I liked it or not, and haven't bought one. They always come off to me as very mild, so I normally pass them up.

TYLER

architeuthis

I see what you're doing!!
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I tend to enjoy the Domaines. The others are a bit mild for my tastes (although I haven't tried the maduros). The tend to be a bit pricey thought.
The maduro's are very nice, but only if rested for about a year. New they don't taste good to me.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've had a couple different cigars from the AVO line and I've enjoyed each one of them. They are on the milder side, as others have said, but sometimes that's just perfect.

architeuthis

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
My problem with all the AVOs is that they are over-priced. Quality is good, but not good enough to support the asking price. I buy some at auction once in a while, but never had a box of any AVO.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Well... I might give one of there maduro's a try later on.
I don't even remember the prices of them I wish I paid more attention. I was busy drolling at the Ashtons.

architeuthis

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
When you get a chance, pick up two of them. Try one pretty soon after purchase and try to remember how it tasted; then try the other after six months rest time. There should be quite a difference. I'd send some but I really don't have a single AVO stick at the moment.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
When you get a chance, pick up two of them. Try one pretty soon after purchase and try to remember how it tasted; then try the other after six months rest time. There should be quite a difference. I'd send some but I really don't have a single AVO stick at the moment.
I'll do that next time I pick up some more sticks.
Is that why you guys load up on sticks? You let them age so they taste better?

architeuthis

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
It depends... Some of us are just pack-rats and love fondling and counting our stash... <G> With Cubans, aging is DEFINITELY a necessity. With NC's in my experience most are acceptable after drying out from purchase RH in my humidor for a few weeks. Some like the LGC Maduro, RyJ Vintage, AVO Maduro and PArtagas Black need about a year before they really taste good. Resting in the dark will never hurt a cigar, but only makes the flavors blend and smooth out a bit. Now "Aging" doesn't mean six months, it means years... So a lot of the time we mis-use the term.

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Boris, AVO cigars are some of my favorite NC cigars available. If you can get your hands on some of their special release cigars, namely the 75, 22, 77, LE05's and even the Legacy, I have a hard time thinking you'd be disappointed.

Like some have also suggested, the maduros are really good IMO. The signatures are a bit pricy, but I love those (especially lonsdale) as well. There is definately a distinct flavor AVO has that is very different from any other Dominican cigar.

On another note, I was in a cigar store passing thru S Carolina and they had an unopened box of the 77's. I opened the box and bought 2, but have never forgiven myself for not buying the box. Hope this helps.:lookaroun

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0

aging of NC's will improve their taste to a degree. but mose NC's have been aging for a while anyway so there pretty much good to go. but like the Squid said, letting the RH balance after a purchase is a good idea. many a shop smoke ive had seem to have burn issues unless i let em sit a week or so.

oh yea.... ive never had a AVO. but i hear they are on the mild side.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
i had an avo signature lonsdale at a herf a week ago. it was a great cigar i thought. i don't usually like mild cigars, but it was really smooth with a lot of creamy rich smoke.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I love the Avo Limited Editions, but do agree that overall they are on the pricey side. The Signature and Domaine lines are also pretty good. I tend to buy and then put them away for a year. The flavors really blossom with some added age.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Wow! I just compared the price of a AF rothschild to a AVO maduro and its almost twice as much. I believed you guys that they were expensive, but thats a big difference.

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Well, do some shopping and you can sometimes find them at a very reasonable price. Also you can sometimes pick them up close to 1/3 cheaper than MSRP at C-bid.:jitb: