What's new

Backpack Suggestions Please

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is something I've wanted to do for a while, but a recent scare has really kicked me into gear. The baby has some issues that our hospital is not equipped to handle, and last week we found ourselves in the emergency room for 6 hours before the decision was made to pack my wife and the kid on a life flight plane to the Children's Hospital across state for surgery. We also ended up getting stuck there due to a rather nasty blizzard that hit on the day we were discharged from the PICU. Everyone's doing fine now, but I need to stop dragging my feet! I was able to come home and pack up some stuff before driving to meet them, but that might not always be the case. And, of course, in my haste I forgot a few things.
I've been wanting to assemble an "emergency" bag set for me, the wife, and the baby. Something that we can grab and go in the even we need to get the kid to the ER in a hurry, and be ready if we need to ship out to another hospital again. I'm thinking something that can contain roughly 3 to 4 days of clothes, some basic toiletries, and maybe room for enough snack type food to feel happy enough for a few days, no need for complete meals or emergency rations. The kid really just needs a few days of food (formula right now) some of her medical stuff, some toys, blankets, changing supplies, and clothes.
I'm thinking for the "adults" (I'm really not that good at adulting) the camping/hiking style of bags should work out nicely. Something with good space, but divided up nicely for organization. Ideally, I'd like them to have a smaller bag that zips off for carrying things back and forth if we are fortunate enough to get a room at their local charity house during the stay. For the kid I don't think we would need anything too fancy, but something that could clip, zip, or in any other way fasten to one of the other bags would be nice to keep our hands free to take care of her.
As much as I'd like to say otherwise, price will be a factor. I'm probably way off base with what I want, but if we could keep to about $30-$40 per bag that would be ideal.
Any suggestions for bags would be appreciated. If my thinking is off track and a different type of set up would work out better let me know. Also, if you are, or have been, in this kind of situation and you have any recommendations as to what should be kept in the bags, I'm all ears... or would that be all eyes? You know, forums and all. I think I have the contents well planned, but could have forgotten something basic.

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Andy, take a look at Drago.
http://www.dragogear.com/product-category/backpacks/
I have the Scout and Tracker packs and have been satisfied with them both. What you're looking for may require somethig a bit bigger, and they have bags that should meet your requirements.
Take a look, and pm me with questions. I've done some photog work for them in the past, and may be able to email someone over there if you need more insight.
Of course there are a multitude of comapnies providing similar gear, but this is the one with which I have experience.
Hope you find the bag you need.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Andy, take a look at Drago.
http://www.dragogear.com/product-category/backpacks/
I have the Scout and Tracker packs and have been satisfied with them both. What you're looking for may require somethig a bit bigger, and they have bags that should meet your requirements.
Take a look, and pm me with questions. I've done some photog work for them in the past, and may be able to email someone over there if you need more insight.
Of course there are a multitude of comapnies providing similar gear, but this is the one with which I have experience.
Hope you find the bag you need.
Good looking stuff, and I actually have a retailer not crazy far away to see them in real life! That will help a lot to get an idea of sizes. Thanks for the suggestion!

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
My suggestion is go to your local outdoors store, REI, BassPro, etc and look at what they have and see what works best for your needs. Since you'll be flying you want to keep it small as possible making it easier to carry-on. Finding a quality bag that will suit your needs at that price will be tough. I love my redwing 44 http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Redwing-44-Backpack-Black/dp/B00AATRU8G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448695110&sr=8-1&keywords=redwing+44 bag, got it on sale for $55 dollar a few years ago use it when we head out to my friends cabin for 3 day weekends. For something closer to your actual budget the condor compact assault bag http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Compact-Assault-Black-1362-Cubic/dp/B00652GI1C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448695323&sr=8-1&keywords=condor+compact+assault+pack could work for the baby bag. It is smaller pack think about size of your standard Jansport backpack. I use it as my emergency bag for my car keep a 2 change of clothes, first aid kit, toiletry bag, and some emergency gear flash light portable radio etc. It's tight but it fits.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My suggestion is go to your local outdoors store, REI, BassPro, etc and look at what they have and see what works best for your needs. Since you'll be flying you want to keep it small as possible making it easier to carry-on. Finding a quality bag that will suit your needs at that price will be tough. I love my redwing 44 http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Redwing-44-Backpack-Black/dp/B00AATRU8G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448695110&sr=8-1&keywords=redwing 44 bag, got it on sale for $55 dollar a few years ago use it when we head out to my friends cabin for 3 day weekends. For something closer to your actual budget the condor compact assault bag http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Compact-Assault-Black-1362-Cubic/dp/B00652GI1C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448695323&sr=8-1&keywords=condor compact assault pack could work for the baby bag. It is smaller pack think about size of your standard Jansport backpack. I use it as my emergency bag for my car keep a 2 change of clothes, first aid kit, toiletry bag, and some emergency gear flash light portable radio etc. It's tight but it fits.
More great suggestions, thanks! I think the nearest dedicated outdoor store here would be Cabela's. I don't know why it hadn't occurred to me to check them out. It's been quite a long time since I was there last, but they used to have some pretty amazing deals on returned items.
We've been lucky so far in that since both flights, this recent one and the one when my daughter was born, have been on life flight they seem to be much less picky with the size and content of our bags than a national airline. When I went along after my daughter was born I threw a bunch of stuff in a bag and didn't even think about some of it being no-nos to bring along on commercial flights until the ambulance pulled in to their hangar area of our local airport. I told one of the life flight crew what I had and she kind of laughed that I was worried about it (in a good way that was probably more reassuring and comforting than it sounds). As long as we can still carry the bags I think we'll be good there.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Andy, I've got one of the Swiss Army / Victorinox backpacks and it rocks. There are enough pockets and sub-compartments to make your head spin. I've had mine for 10+ years with moderate use and it's still in great shape. Check them out on Amazon. (y)

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Packs can be very personal, and purpose driven...

Do you prefer a top loader, or another design? Internal frame? External frame? Modular? Compartmentalized? Or prefer more packing space for larger kit? Etc.. Etc..

Is it going to be something you actually plan on carrying on your back for long distances? Or something you throw in the car in a hurry that contains all of your necessary "bug out" stuff.. But may not have to be human carried a long way?

Plan on rough or elevated terrain? Or mostly flat surfaces? Etc.. Etc...

While you can make any container work (you can carry your shit in a hefty bag if you have to).. What's suitable or optimum for one task isn't necessarily great for another...

Another key question.. What's your budget?

You could literally spend $29.99 and get something that will work.. Up to several hundred dollars per pack/bag...