What's new

"Bad Box" & "Young Cigars" for Por Larranaga...what defines which???

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Greetings Brethren,

In 2007 so far I had the pleasure of getting a hold of two (2) boxes of Por Larranaga petit corona cabinet. The first box was sheer heaven! Creamy and vanilla...mmmm. The second box tastes like absolute sh*t. The second box just came last week. The first box wrappers were smooth and light. The second box wrapppers are very dark, and the box has just a hint of the aroma that we love so much. From the second box i've smoked 2 cigars and both had a heavy aroma of amonia...ewww!

Stats:

1. 1st box code- 0EB/FEB 07.....rocked! Light wrapper, vanila/honey aroma and overtones.

2. 2nd box code- 0EB/ABR 07.....sh*t, very dark wrapper, amonia aroma, horrible taste.

So everyone, based on what I'm telling all of from the above do I just have a "young" box or a "bad box"? If I have a "young" box what are your suggestions? If it's a "bad" box I need to return it to the seller.

3. QUESTION: is it possibleto get a "bad box"/"young box" that will never mature?

thanks y'all

Cigar_Jack

BoM May 05
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
They sound young to me. I'd put them away for about six months and try them again after that six months if that one is still bad wait another six months.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Leave those alone till the 1 year mark and try another stick. I hear these keep getting better at 2+ years. Your cab is way to young to know if bad, but more likely not bad.

My guess is the first cab you got lucky in how well they smoked.

Anything that smells of ammonia should not even be smoked, surprised you smoked it at all. NEVER do that again. If even a hint of ammonia leave them alone and do not press the issue cause you will be disappointed every single time.

Yes you could get a bad box that never improves.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cab of ABR 07 PLPC's. Smoked my first one yesterday. I thought it was a nice cigar.. but certainly young. Dark wrappers, beautiful construction etc.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Put'm away for a year and if you like the light wrappers better then ask your vendor for that color wrapper next time.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put them in the back of the humi and forget about them.They should come around,check the in 6 months or so.Try to keep air circulating around them
and open the humi every so often to let out some of the amoinia.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
They are young and probably a bit sick.

Lay them down for a year or two and re-visit these.

You will see a big difference in flavors.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks all!!!

I was starting to worry. 2 Question:

1. concerning the ammonia within the humi, is the ammonia that's in the humidor in any way destructive to the other smokes?

2. Have any of you ever had this stick with the darker wrappers? I tell you, the 1st box blew me away!!! In a year or two, what can I expect with this darker wrapper?

thanks again,

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Thanks all!!!

I was starting to worry. 2 Question:

1. concerning the ammonia within the humi, is the ammonia that's in the humidor in any way destructive to the other smokes?

2. Have any of you ever had this stick with the darker wrappers? I tell you, the 1st box blew me away!!! In a year or two, what can I expect with this darker wrapper?

thanks again,

The ammonia is a byproduct of the fermintation/aging process, it happens to all young sticks in varying degrees. It won't have an effect on your other sticks if kept in the original box. That's the only segregation I have ever done in my cabinet humi with no adverse reactions.

The dark wrappers are wonderfull after a couple of years on them, I prefer them to the lighter wrappers when they have some age. Check Indy Rob's post.

On a side note if the lighter wrappers were as good as you say, I hope you kept a few cause after a couple of years.............you will develop wood when smoking them.

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
General rule is I chalk it up as being young if it tastes bad and is less than a couple years old. Unless, that is, you're looking to get rid of em on the cheap. In that case, they're just a dud and I'll take em off your hands.:wink: