What's new

Baking Bread Thread

btort

Bob
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I've allowed the dough to come to room temp and put cold dough in the oven and can't tell a difference. I use my wife's fancy enamel Dutch oven most of the time and I think it's 6-8 quart but I've also used my smaller 4 quart camping lodge cast iron with the same success. If you don't have a vessel big enough, just make 3 smaller loaves and bake for slightly less time.
Thanks. I do have the smaller dutch oven. Will probably give it a try next week.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I'm back at it. I've made a couple loaves the last few weeks but nothing special. Turns out, after dry January ended I stopped craving carbs all the time. Today I made a couple loaves of cranberry walnut wheat. My same basic recipe with 20% whole wheat and 1.5 cups of craisins and walnuts.
20190303_191633.jpg 20190303_191627.jpg 20190303_191522.jpg
Believe it or not, the purplish tinge to the crumb is from the walnuts, not the craisins. You can substitute another type of nut if it bothers you. Walnuts have amazing texture when baked though.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sourdough looks so nice every time I see it in pictures that I even want to try baking sourdough bread myself

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss fresh bread too. I used to bake sourdough bread a few years ago, but now I’m too busy with the kids to continue, and I think I need to revive this tradition. This bread is much better than the one you can get from a shop and a much healthier one.
Also, anything you bake yourself, from cookies to pies, is much nicer than the ones you can buy from a shop (if you are a more or less good cook, of course). I miss my hobo pie maker and baking bread on a campfire in the woods – it’s one of the best experiences I’ve ever had, and I miss that a lot.

Last edited: