What's new

Ball jars not sealing?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Any ideas? Nothing on the rims. Nothing on the lid. I crank down on it and still I can smell tobacco. I keep my jars in an old cooler in the closet.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you may be chasing 1/8th's brother. If they're cranked down, short of sealing with wax (overkill imo), they're as sealed as they're going to get. My baccy just sits on a shelf.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Mine just got jarred the other day into the ball mason jars and I have a very slight odor of the baccy. And I mean slight, like little to nothing. If I pick up the jar and sniff the cover, then yes I smell it very faintly. But all my baccy is stored nicely and their doing the job I need them to do. I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe once in a while, just check their humidity.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My cooler reeks of english blends (Night cap/Early Morning/Seattle MS River). I mean reeks. And I only have 1oz of each!

I've cranked down hard on the rings and still smells. Not sure what the deal is... maybe a bad batch of lids or something? I thought these bad boys were supposed to be air tight.

I want to place a slightly bigger bulk order of the stuff I really like (4oz each) but damn, obviously air is leaking and I'd HATE to ruin my stash, it's super dry here in CO, if there is an air leak this tobacco will be toast quick.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
My cooler reeks of english blends (Night cap/Early Morning/Seattle MS River). I mean reeks. And I only have 1oz of each!

I've cranked down hard on the rings and still smells. Not sure what the deal is... maybe a bad batch of lids or something? I thought these bad boys were supposed to be air tight.

I want to place a slightly bigger bulk order of the stuff I really like (4oz each) but damn, obviously air is leaking and I'd HATE to ruin my stash, it's super dry here in CO, if there is an air leak this tobacco will be toast quick.
Maybe put them separate in the cooler?? Aros in one section, English in another and so forth.....all of mine are in separate jars and next to each other in the cardboard tray they were purchased.
Plus, there's tricks to re-hydrate your pipe baccy too. I don't remember where the thread is on it but it's here somewhere. I really don't see this "ruining" your stash at all.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Do you leave that cardboard tray somewhere dark? Or just out of the way?

Thanks for the help everyone!! :) Just making sure I'm not throwing away my money (can't afford to do that!)

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Do you leave that cardboard tray somewhere dark? Or just out of the way?

Thanks for the help everyone!! :) Just making sure I'm not throwing away my money (can't afford to do that!)
I have them sitting on an over stuffed dresser drawer that's open with all my other pipe and baccy goodies. In front of my humidor that's sitting on top of my dresser safely. LOL. Best thing to do just keep them in a cool area and out of the sun. I'm a night owl and work nights, so my blinds are always closed even during the day.