What's new

Bargain rye?

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
So my wife, brother in law, and aunt (i know, sounds like a weird group for drinking buddies, but they're all awesome) have recently discovered cocktails, and we've been drinking a lot of old-fashionds. Bitters, rye, sugar, and an orange peel twist... so simple, so good. We've been drinking Bulleit, but it's something close to $40 here (yay WA taxes). Problem is, we're going though the stuff too fast for my budget, so I'm hoping you guys can give me some ideas for a bargain-priced bottle of rye that's still delicious. I guess I'm looking for the Ramon Bueso Genesis Habano of rye whiskies. :D

Last edited:

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Great suggestions so far. I would add Sazerac Rye 6Yr Old and High West Double rye into the mix.
Love both of those but didn't mention them due to availability/price. Saz is extremely hard to find depending on location and the HW is probably more than he wants to spend for a cocktail spirit.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Love both of those but didn't mention them due to availability/price. Saz is extremely hard to find depending on location and the HW is probably more than he wants to spend for a cocktail spirit.
+1 to this. Great ryes, but over the "Bargain" price range and general availability

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
My go-to for a great inexpensive rye (particularly for old fashions/sazerac/manhattan) is Rittenhouse Rye - bottled in bond. Usually around $25
For reference - My avatar image
Derek look for this... was gonna be my suggestion. I think Total Wine has a good price on these. @Herfin' Harg is the Rye guy and he turned us onto this one...

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Thanks dudes. The Dickel wasn't as enjoyable as the Bulleit, at least in an old-fashioned. I think it's a better rye on it's own, and it has more character and certainly a bit more oomph, but it didn't seem to mix up as nicely.
I guess Rittenhouse is next on the list!