What's new

Be prepared to get a little woody with your next bottle of bourbon

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Will have to try this at some point...infusing is an art form and it's not like mixing chocolate into milk. There needs to be a practical and proven process that isn't gimmicky which can backfire....like the Jim Beam Honey....which tasted like ass in a glass. Seems that they thought they could capture the Drambuie taste and failed. Can't wait to see about the combo enterprise of these two manufacturing entities. Odd that Ezra Zion is partnering with them when they push a religious agenda.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Instead of resting the bourbon in oak barrels they rest the oak in the whiskey bottle
Very interesting. According to the website, they make it the traditional way and age it in charred oak barrels for 2 years. Then this oak spire thing gets inserted when it’s bottled which gives it an extra finish.

I wonder if the taste will continue to change the longer it ages (because of the spire)? If so, will storing it at different temperatures cause it to age differently? When I took the Buffalo Trace tour they said that they keep the stuff they age longer in the lower level of the barrel house because the temps are lower there.

I will definitely want to try this. Hope it’s not just a gimmick.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
They even added recipes so you could drink it the right way old man
Good spirits need only a vessel to hold them to drink out of, not a bunch of foo foo ingredient rs to ruin the taste of fine spirits. JMHO

Good Spirit are not over rosted set Starb**ks Coffee Bean, that need Camel Milk, Sweetner, and other ingredients to camouflage the burnt flavor of the junk beans.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Good spirits need only a vessel to hold them to drink out of, not a bunch of foo foo ingredient rs to ruin the taste of fine spirits. JMHO

Good Spirit are not over rosted set Starb**ks Coffee Bean, that need Camel Milk, Sweetner, and other ingredients to camouflage the burnt flavor of the junk beans.
Ah ok

Wonder why the people making it post recipes then

:)

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I always thought that the "angel's share" lost to evaporation while aging improved and concentrated the flavors of the whiskey. If you age in the bottle you probably lose this evaporation/concentration. If you had the resources it would be interesting to buy a case and let it go for a while but most people will be simply drinking 2 year old bourbon

They did talk about experimenting with recycling the spire in other spirits.

There are a lot of liquors that should be mixed and many that should be simply experienced neat. Jack Daniels #7 needs to be mixed to be drinkable in my opinion. A two year old bourbon probably falls into this category.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Very interesting. According to the website, they make it the traditional way and age it in charred oak barrels for 2 years. Then this oak spire thing gets inserted when it’s bottled which gives it an extra finish.

I wonder if the taste will continue to change the longer it ages (because of the spire)? If so, will storing it at different temperatures cause it to age differently? When I took the Buffalo Trace tour they said that they keep the stuff they age longer in the lower level of the barrel house because the temps are lower there.

I will definitely want to try this. Hope it’s not just a gimmick.
I had some from a newish spirits company that was trying to skip the barrel altogether by just putting staves in the whiskey in somewhat short term storage. (maybe under pressure?)

They were unsuccessful in creating a desirable product in my opinion....

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Many home-brewers and home-distillers will soak these oak spirals in bourbon/tequilla/etc and then age their beer/liquor on them to imitate oak barrels. These are cheaper, don't require the space of a barrel, and don't necessarily need the same volumes a barrel might. In the brewing world, I've had great success using these and have made beer I would put up against commercial examples any day. I think you're on to something with the angel's share theory. That would be a great experiment if there is a home-distiller on the board that has a barrel for aging.