What's new

Beetles and temp... theory questioning

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sheik Ur Bootie said:
Temp is the key for avoiding beetles. My humidor temp was a 67 degrees at the time of the outbreak, after reading the Cigar Advisor (MRN on Mo's site) I lowered the temp to 60 degrees. Humidity is more difficult to regulate, but no chance of beetles at 60 degrees. Mites love humidity over 70%. Mites do no harm to the tobacco and are also destroyed by freezing.
Some people will disagree with the temperature being the cause of the outbreak.. some parts of the world (ie OZ for example) have steadily temperatures over 80-90 for most part of the year.. and that is in the cool part of the house... based on this.. we should have lots of beetles... and we don't... in fact.. I have only this year installed an aircon in the room where the cigars are.. and not really for lowering the temp but for sucking out the humidity from the air.... before this aircon was installed.. the temperature was often in the 100+....

I have thought long and hard about this (why no beetles here considering all the talk about beetles and temp on forums) and have formulated a very unscientific theory.. maybe it isn't the temperature.. maybe it is the atmospheric pressure?? The people I have managed to talk to that has had an outbreak (the ones who knows their stock well enough to confirm this) have all stated that they had a sudden change in weather.. a thunderstorm for instance... so maybe it isn't the temperature itself as such.. when the weather gets hotter.. the pressure is also lower..... that doesn't mean that it is the same all over the world.. in one area 80f might have the same atmospheric pressure as 65f would have in other areas.... not that I have any proof of this but it is a thought.......

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yea I know.. I've been asking people who have had an outbreak what the weather was like before they had the outbreak and Everyone states that they had a sudden change in weather.. not a seasonal slow climb of the temperature...

I think it may be a truism... you know the same as the 70/70 "rule".. if it is repeated and quoted enough time.. it must be true without anyone really checking it.. it is just continued to be quoted because it is what has been quoted before...

I suspect that the same might be about the beetle outbreaks.. so many have read on various site about the magical 80f .. so now it is taken for granted that it is the temp causing the outbreaks.. it may be just that a biologist stated to a tobacco farmer that if you keep your temp under 80f you are likely to not get beetle outbreaks (based on the airpressure not being low enough in that temp where the farmer lived)...this was then repeated over and over and over.. spreak onto websited and viola.. it is a truism..

Not saying it is the case... but until a biologist tells me differently and also explains why in temps that 9/10 over the year is over 80 I haven't had any beetle outbreaks in about 7 years.....I have had a few single sticks with beetles coming via mail to me from various parts of the word.. but never had an outbreak once stabelised over here...

Fonsecakid

Fonsecakid
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´ve been talking with Hakan about this and he can be right.

I think it can be due to big differences in temp, going up and down during a longer period of time - say a couple of weeks maybe months. I know it´s been the case the three times I´ve been hit. Then again there was a thunderstorm before my last outbreak.