What's new

Beginner Resource

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
@webmost , how would you describe the Sumatra?
Tangy. Raw. Needs time to mellow.
Great for binding because it was so sticky with resin that it wanted to hold tight round the bunch without glue.
This was not like the toothy greenish Sumatra I bought years ago from LO. More yellow, and no teeth.
After aging, it became mild and mellow. Gave the gar a nicotine kick, I thought.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
How about storing freshly rolled cigars? Just into the humidor like everything else or is there more to it?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Dry box one week, then normal aging

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
To expand - does local humidity affect that answer? Mid winter my indoor humidity might be like 7% (im exaggerating but I assume dry boxing should likely just be not a full week at that point)

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
To expand - does local humidity affect that answer? Mid winter my indoor humidity might be like 7% (im exaggerating but I assume dry boxing should likely just be not a full week at that point)
Science me is going to say absolutely, that will affect the drying process

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is an empirical hobby. You get to discover what is true for you through experimentation. Much of what you learn through experimentation and practical application will be surprising. This is about as close to real magic--some black, some white--that you will get.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I tried dry boxing early on but since I'm always adding moisture to my humidor, I figured I'd skip the dry box. Put the newly rolled sticks in the humi and kill two birds with one stone. The only disclaimer I need to add here is after seeing Blake roll bunches dry, I've not been adding any moisture to my filler leaves. Only the binder and wrapper get spritzed. And there is usually a delay of a couple days between bunching and wrapping so the binder dries out before wrapping anyway.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I tried dry boxing early on but since I'm always adding moisture to my humidor, I figured I'd skip the dry box. Put the newly rolled sticks in the humi and kill two birds with one stone. The only disclaimer I need to add here is after seeing Blake roll bunches dry, I've not been adding any moisture to my filler leaves. Only the binder and wrapper get spritzed. And there is usually a delay of a couple days between bunching and wrapping so the binder dries out before wrapping anyway.
That's why i like wood molds, wicks the water out of the binder

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a lot of cigar manufactures wrap large bundles in newspaper and leave out in a giant aging room. I'm assuming the entire room is humidified to some degree. My plan is to leave my fresh rolls out for 10 or so hours. Then newspaper wrap bundles of 10-15 and put into a large Tupperware bin at 60% humidity until they appear to be about where I like to smoke my regular cigars. Then into a 68% humidor to age and mature.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I see a lot of cigar manufactures wrap large bundles in newspaper and leave out in a giant aging room. I'm assuming the entire room is humidified to some degree. My plan is to leave my fresh rolls out for 10 or so hours. Then newspaper wrap bundles of 10-15 and put into a large Tupperware bin at 60% humidity until they appear to be about where I like to smoke my regular cigars. Then into a 68% humidor to age and mature.
I think the first answer to a lot of cigar questions is a question: "What's the average RH in the place you're at?"

I don't have to do any leaf care because the place (coastal California) I'm at is typically 70%. For the same reason I don't have to do any cigar care.

Once upon a time I had dreams of collecting 365 of my homerolls each with at least a year age on'em, so I'd always be smoking something with a year. I wanted a year because back then the tobacco we got was typically craptastic and so there were all these schemes to make things smoke-able. Treatments, age, whatever.

Now, I smoke about 20 cigars a week so I have to roll about 20 a week to keep up. The cigars sit by an open window after I roll them and until I smoke them, typically within a week of being rolled. And they are great. They might be supergreat in 3, 6, or 12 months, but I'll never know. They're great now. So far this summer heatwave and the new climate and so forth hasn't screwed up this method, for some reason. Things just get a bit drier a bit faster.

Here's a snapshot of my drying room/drybox/humidor right now:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RH outside is 73-80% pretty much year round. With my A/C running non-stop (tempurature of the sun in South Texas), I'm guess my house RH is around 40-50%. I have a feeling the more I roll the more I will smoke. I'm hoping I can get atleast a few dozen cigars stashed.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My RH outside is 73-80% pretty much year round. With my A/C running non-stop (tempurature of the sun in South Texas), I'm guess my house RH is around 40-50%. I have a feeling the more I roll the more I will smoke. I'm hoping I can get atleast a few dozen cigars stashed.
One very positive aspect of smoking soon is that you get a more nimble feel for the adjustments you want to do on the next rounds. If you have to wait 6 months before you try a blend idea then things kinda bog down. When I roll ten, it's typically ten blends (1-10 in a spreadsheet for that date). And then after I've smoked those and made notes for each one, I've got some good ideas for the next round.