What's new

Best humidity for Connecticut?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I occasionally enjoy a Connecticut wrapper cigar. However I find them having issues. The wrapper is so thin. I received this via mail and it has only been in my humidor 2 days. My dad wanted to smoke a couple. His had no problems mine split.

I keep my main humidor at 65% with heartfelt beads. Maybe a longer rest in the humi would have stopped this. Are Connecticut wrapper cigars better off kept at 65 or 70 RH? I’ve found for most all cigars 65% is best. Just my experience. I did finish smoking the cigar. The split did not really effect it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Two days in your humi isn't long enough to have any affect on the cigar. Normally 10 to 14 days rest before smoking a cigar that has been shipped. I'll agree that I tend to have more cracking problems with Connies and Cameroon wrappers.

I think you are running everything fine, just needed more time. Looks like a nice warm day for your smoke but remember lg temp changes can also cause cracking.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Two days in your humi isn't long enough to have any affect on the cigar. Normally 10 to 14 days rest before smoking a cigar that has been shipped. I'll agree that I tend to have more cracking problems with Connies and Cameroon wrappers.

I think you are running everything fine, just needed more time. Looks like a nice warm day for your smoke but remember lg temp changes can also cause cracking.
When I receive cigars through the mail I like to let my cigars acclimate for at least 3 to 4 weeks before smoking them. The rule of thumb is a week per 1 degree of RH so waiting a few weeks allows them to settle down.

FWIW, I typically store my Connies and Cameroon smokes at 69%.

And also agree that the ambient RH mighta also been a factor too.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
" Two days in your humi isn't long enough to have any affect on the cigar "

most vendors keep stock very moist.

take a moist cigar outside into cold or dry environments and wrappers will split every time.

cameroon is very delicate, most other types of wrappers are more resilient, but any of them will split in dry weather.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another thing, if you sit a cigar down on a cold surface it can damage the wrapper. I rarely see it happen above 50°, but I have seen it happen. The difference in temperature between the hot leaves and cold surface can cause problems.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
had a splitter today, Ave Maria robusto, and I had left it out with the cello open for several days to dry down a bit.
about half way, the wrapper split to the head.
was able to wet it and finish smoking, just goes to show.
temp was 44 or so

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smoked another one tonight from the same 5 pack. It’s been in my humidor 20+ days now. Smoking great. Half way through the cap was trying to come off. Guess the Connecticut gods just don’t like me. But it held on and smoked great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk