What's new

Best Metallica...

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Ok since I saw so many different Metallica choices in people's top albums I thought this my be a vibrant thread... So best album/song/time period/lyric or whatever you wanna drop and why

Pound for pound I go with master of puppets as purely the best album with only one weak link "leper messiah" lol ill go deeper as we discuss but that album is as good as it gets ...and justice for all is my runner up and to me is when they played the tightest but has some fat that could've been trimmed and ride the lightning they just weren't all the way there yet ...that should be enough to stir the pot lol so lets go!!!

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I have to go with ...And Justice For All. It was their first album after Cliff died, and I think for me, its their heaviest and most raw. I also think that Lars did his best drumming on this album.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
About the time I was learning guitar, "...And Justice For All" was coming out so I pretty much taught myself how to play a bunch of songs off of that album. I thought the production quality was a huge improvement over Masters Of Puppets. I never cared much for the Black album and that was the last time I bought a Metallica album. As far as a favorite it's tough to say. I consider the first 4 "good" and the rest "shit".

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
For me the best album was the Black Album, only because that's the only one I own and have played it repeatedly. I'm sure that Master of Puppets is probably better but it wasn't drilled into my brain like the Black Album was.

As far as best song, "One" is far and away my favorite. the extended version video with the old movie footage spliced in is what put it over the top for me.

[video=youtube;WM8bTdBs-cw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM8bTdBs-cw&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Yes their production was definitely progressively better I just think the perfect balance between raw and polished is master ...one and damage inc are two of my favorite songs. Ill go thru justice tomorrow during my work out ...

slave2theaxe

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I'd have to say Master is my all time favorite, with Justice coming in a close second. Lightning, Kill 'Em All, and the Black album follow those up...after that I would be hard pressed to say I really enjoyed any of them... St. Anger was just excruciating to listen to...complete garbage!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
About the time I was learning guitar, "...And Justice For All" was coming out so I pretty much taught myself how to play a bunch of songs off of that album. I thought the production quality was a huge improvement over Masters Of Puppets. I never cared much for the Black album and that was the last time I bought a Metallica album. As far as a favorite it's tough to say. I consider the first 4 "good" and the rest "shit".
Also this. All of it word for word.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Master of Puppets = Favorite Album and Song for me.
AJFA = Runner up album. Damage Inc. runner up song.
IMHO Bob Rock took them in a direction that watered down their music and angst.
Momma Said = WORST song! WTF were they thinking?

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
For me the best album was the Black Album, only because that's the only one I own and have played it repeatedly. I'm sure that Master of Puppets is probably better but it wasn't drilled into my brain like the Black Album was.

As far as best song, "One" is far and away my favorite. the extended version video with the old movie footage spliced in is what put it over the top for me.
It was the Black Album that got me into Metallica. So it hold top spot for me. The older albums are more my style and the ones after it weren't great. I moved on to heavier music by then.

One is an amazing song. Based off the book printed in 1938 called Johnny Got His Gun. Amazing book. If you read and like One it's worth a read.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0

It was the Black Album that got me into Metallica. So it hold top spot for me. The older albums are more my style and the ones after it weren't great. I moved on to heavier music by then.

One is an amazing song. Based off the book printed in 1938 called Johnny Got His Gun. Amazing book. If you read and like One it's worth a read.
Yeah knowing the story does make u appreciate the song a little differently

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
It was the Black Album that got me into Metallica. So it hold top spot for me. The older albums are more my style and the ones after it weren't great. I moved on to heavier music by then...
pretty much this. had been into them, then the eponymous album came out to huge furor, first one i got in on the ground floor on, last one i cared for. "whiskey in a jar-O"? no, thanks you.

as my primary metal head buddy was a bassist (sort of), anesthesia would have to be a favorite song, and it is a damn shame we couldn't have seen where cliff went from there.

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Ahh yes. The classic debate. I have this debate probably once a year with some family so here goes. I'd say my favorite is the black album. I was 9 years old when the debuted. And I thought that was the heaviest shit ever. I can still remember my cousin showing me how to head bang. I still love basically every song on there even tho some are quite played out. So id go:

Black album
....and justice for all
Master of puppets
Ride the lightning
Kill em all

And they get real hazy from there. Maybe like a couple songs off the others but that may be pushing it. Those top three interchange frequently as I find myself really digging justice right now. Every song on that album is just angry, and I love it. And btw, forty, I think leper messiah is my fav song on puppets! God I love that tune.

-Jared

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Their best album is Puppets followed closely by Metal Up Your Ass, I mean Kill 'em All

My favorite album is Justice.

Leper Messiah is one of their most underrated songs IMO.

Metallica has albums after Justice? :scratchhe

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Vote for Master here... Believe it or not Death Magnetic, the new one, is like a throwback to a more polished version of 80's speed/thrash metal. Its good. I didn't believe it when someone first told me but fans of the old stuff should check it out, you'll be surprised.

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I'd have to say Master is my all time favorite, with Justice coming in a close second. Lightning and the Black album follow those up...after that I would be hard pressed to say I really enjoyed any of them... St. Anger was just excruciating to listen to...complete garbage!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
This.