What's new

Best value inexpensive shotguns

Rmg

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've decided I have to have a new shotgun and am looking for the best value and a great price. I'm leaning towards the Weatherby Pa-08. What are your thoughts?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love my 12 gauge Remington 870 express. Got mine on a sale for $250. Fire's like a champ. Just doesn't like winchester ammo.
Lmao you nailed it! My father bought me one for Christmas years back while I was away at college in California (lol so he got himself one till I got back) though it truly is a great pump for the money!

Mine will not cycle Winchester as well though lol

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Lmao you nailed it! My father bought me one for Christmas years back while I was away at college in California (lol so he got himself one till I got back) though it truly is a great pump for the money!

Mine will not cycle Winchester as well though lol
Loves remington, federal premium ammo though. Glad I'm not the only one with the same issue here lol.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Like mwlabel asked, what's the purpose?
Weatherby makes some fine firearms in the upper price ranges, but for their lower end shotguns I've never been a fan.

If for hunting on a budget Id go Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 for a reliable pump gun. The words cheap and auto should never go together so Id stick with a pump.

If for home defense, Mossberg 88 Special Purpose can be had cheap, and there are plenty of aftermarket mods to make it very tactical. Mine sports a collapsible stock with pistol grip, and spare rounds holder on side or receiver. Collapsed it makes for easy storage and very maneuverable in close quarters. Smooth bore so I can sling slugs or buckshot with no issues.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If for home defense, Mossberg 88 Special Purpose can be had cheap, and there are plenty of aftermarket mods to make it very tactical. Mine sports a collapsible stock with pistol grip, and spare rounds holder on side or receiver. Collapsed it makes for easy storage and very maneuverable in close quarters. Smooth bore so I can sling slugs or buckshot with no issues.
In my limited experience in home defense, after 25 yrs in L.E., I want maximum "stop the threat" power since in, say a home invasion situation, you may only get one or two shots off. I figger that dbl/bbl 12ga.
will meet that need. On duty, I used a Mossberg 12ga. pistol grip pump for searching "burglar-in-action" reports in businesses at night and it suited me well.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted a "side by side" dbl/bbl 12ga. Can't find one cheap enough...
I bought myself a Stoeger SxS. Loved the thing. In a word, "whippy" (yeah I know that's not a word lol). Looking down it's double barrels is like looking down a freaking runway lol.

Anyway, the thing was cheap - I just wanted to see what it would be to shoot a sxs with double triggers. Let me tell you, I thought it was great. Took it out to shoot the old sporting clays. After ten tours (1,000 rounds), the gun shook itself to death lol.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's with the sawteeth? Other'n that, I like it mucho!
Bah - that's so you can add a light and stuff and stuff to it. Never seen that on a sxs before.

All joking aside - I note they sell for about 4 to 5 hundred now, so they are't dirt cheap anymore. Mine really did handle well and for your purposes, would be more than adequate. The two triggers becomes intuitive very quickly if you opt for that. The coach gun is the most compact version, and I believe comes with either single or double trigger.

Rmg

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I couldnt agree more on the Cbid and wineador. I am looking for an upland game bird mostly pheasants but still able to get the job done with turkeys. I had an 870 and it was regularly jammed on ejection I got so I could take it apart pretty quick and back together in no time. No apparent reason for the jams and a couple of gunsmiths couldnt figure it out.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I couldnt agree more on the Cbid and wineador. I am looking for an upland game bird mostly pheasants but still able to get the job done with turkeys. I had an 870 and it was regularly jammed on ejection I got so I could take it apart pretty quick and back together in no time. No apparent reason for the jams and a couple of gunsmiths couldnt figure it out.
Check the used rack for:
Mossberg 500
Remington 1100
Winchester 1300

all fine, common shotguns that are reasonably priced and suitable for hunting.