What's new

Big Green Egg...yay or nay?

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
So, I need a new grill. Well, really my brother needs a new grill and I want a new grill. So I'm giving him my old grill so that I now "need" a new one. Makes sense, right?

In the past I've used a Webber kettle, Weber Genesis and many a cheapo Home Depot has grill. I like the convenience of gas, but love the flavor and ritual of charcoal.

That said, I've been thinking about a big green egg. Looking for thoughts from those who've used one and how it compares to cheaper grills, how it holds up over time, ease of use, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
As far as that type of grill goes, I think @SailorAg hit it. In the brief researching I did on smokers, I saw that brand referenced a lot as the perfect alternative to the green egg with the benefit of decreased cost.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My friends have big green eggs and the alternative BGE's.

I personally live and die by my 20+ year old Weber Genesis 2000.

I mounted it in an already built outdoor grill and hard plumbed it to a large underground propane tank. I purchased aftermarket SS flavor bars. I often use it to smoke ribs and Boston butts by placing a small piece of water soaked oak It works like a champ and has never let me down.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It really all depends on what you are looking for. I've had an XL BGE for about four years and I love it. If you are looking to do more grilling that smoking, I'm not sure a BGE is the way to go. Now if you mainly want to be smoking meat than a BGE will definitely do the job extremely well. They are pricy no doubt but I wouldn't trade mine for anything. Easy to use and with the ceramic, once you dial in your temp it is pretty hassle free after that.

Form straight up grilling I have a Weber Genesis which cooks like a champ.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Im in the market for a new grill myself... probably wont go the BGE route.. but.. like others have already said.. I dont know anyone that owns one, that isnt 100% satisfied with their purchase..

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You will get many different opinions on this but I can tell you that I have never heard anybody that owns a BGE say they regret buying it....
Same with anything you spend $1,000 on - no one will say "That was a mistake"

I sold my Genesis Gold and went back to Weber Kettles - I may sell them and go back to another gas Weber - who knows!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have some sort of knock off kamado oven, which I love and use frequently. As others have said, you won't regret it.

Having said that, i don't consider it an absolute replacement for a standard weber kettle. If I'm grilling, it's typically the weber that gets fired up.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I have no experience with the egg or other of that type. I purchased a Traeger a few years ago and love it. However, for the price, I must admit that there are likely better options out there. The traeger requires quite a bit of babying to avoid the dreading "pelletcrete" and motor problems. That being said, if you are someone who is maticulous with your possessions, the traeger will never let you down.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The place next door to our nano uses a BGE for just about everything. The food is always good and the smoke flavor is on point but I know first hand there are cheaper options out there that are just as good if your only looking for a grill or smoker. My smoker for example is like half the price of a XL BGE but its just a smoker.... on the other hand BGEs can be pretty versatile which is a huge plus for them.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Thanks guys, I appreciate the opinions. I'm going to check out some of the other Kamado options to see what they're all about. I like the idea of having one grill that can grill, smoke, cook pizza, etc.

Seems like some of the other brands come with more "standard options" vs a BGE which would require extra $$.

At this point, I'm probably waiting until after Christmas, but I like to start researching big purchases so I feel like I know what I'm getting before I pull the trigger.

@boltman, Mike - I really like the idea of buying it at Costco, as their warranty/return policy is second to none. Any idea if they are a seasonal item? I just did a quick search online and came up empty at Costco.

Thanks again everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk