What's new

Biggest cigar regret

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Figured I would switch it up with a question.

What is your most regrettable "miss" with cigars?

Didn't buy enough _______ when they were available.

Bought to many _______ and they ended up not being my cup of tea.

Kept waiting for a coupon and missed out on _______.

Wanted to buy _______ from ________ and thought about it for an hour and it was sold out.

so on and so forth....

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hmmm. Probably spending the money on a used compressor wine fridge and multiple tupperdors, and all the associated hassle, rather than just getting the Audew from the start. Would have been the same amount of money for 90% less hassle and like double the capacity.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmm. Probably spending the money on a used compressor wine fridge and multiple tupperdors, and all the associated hassle, rather than just getting the Audew from the start. Would have been the same amount of money for 90% less hassle and like double the capacity.
I'm thinking of finally grabbing and Audew or similar size to store my Tupperware. What I hate is that most of the electronic humidors come with shelves instead of drawers. I take all of my smokes out of the box to save room. So, I have like 350 individual cigars. Shelves aren't an option.

My biggest regrets revolve around what I didn't buy. I should have bought some Upmann Magnum 46 and Partagas Serie D early in the Pandemic. I should have bought more of the Room 101 Namakubia and La Jugada Prietos when they were 50% off at JR Cigar's brick and mortar right before the Pandemic.

Last edited:

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Back in the late 2000's, I was just getting into Cuban cigars. Was lucky enough to be invited to a private forum for group buys (which no longer exists). Boxes of Boli RC and RASS were going for $135, I think. I bought like one or two boxes total.

In 2011, Montecristo Grande Edmundos were going for $135 and the vendor had a discount, so boxes were $115. I bought one box.

In the mid-to-late 2010's, Juan Lopez 1 and 2 were regularly under $160/box. I think I went through maybe two boxes of each, but never stocked up.

In 2019 or 2020, HUHC's were regularly on sale under $90/box. I bought only four boxes.

I'm sure there are a number of other missed opportunities but the above are ones where I specifically considered going deep, and didn't.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What I hate is that most of the electronic humidors come with shelves instead of drawers. I take all of my smokes out of the box to save room. So, I have like 350 individual cigars. Shelves aren't an option.
Yup, I totally feel that. It initially took some serious arranging and rearranging on my part and finally I settled on using the cedar trays I bought for my tupperdors inside the Audew. Kind of redundant to have trays on top of shelves, but since boxes don't really fit, not much choice. I have three of those trays in there, one skinny box (holds sticks that I intend to age for a long time), and the top big shelf which is pure chaos. It's a pretty ugly method, but it's my only option at this point.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
@Texican

those work great and for a reasonable price but anyone that knows me knows I'm more of a function over form type of guy so I just picked up a couple small pieces of 1/4 inch cedar and built "walls" for a couple of the trays that came with my NewAir

View attachment 170873View attachment 170874
I MUST do this!!! Wood glue or what? I absolutely have to make this happen.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@Texican Predrill holes and use small nails is what I did but I did notice many of the cigar boxes I have received used glue. If you glue you'll probably still need nails

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Mine isn’t pretty but I’ll show my setup. It’s still overflowing but it holds a lot.

big boveda pack in top. The large ones with cardboard around them.

another big one in the bottom. Working fine so far. I’ll snag a picture

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
As a clarification on my earlier post about tupperdors...I didn't mean that they aren't good or useful. My specific issue was due to having tupperdors inside a compressor wine fridge. The warmest setting on the fridge was around 67 degrees, and even set there, the temp would regularly fluctuate as low as 58. When that happened, the RH in the tupperdors would shoot up as high as 80%, sometimes to the point of having condensation in the damn containers! I got so sick and tired of having to babysit the individual containers by putting in silica packs to bring down RH when it wouldn't go back down, etc etc. I had to drybox my cigars for a week because the burn problems were such a regular occurrence. It's like night and day now...I can just pluck out whatever cigar I want to smoke right when I want to smoke it, no burn issues.

All that said, tupperdors rock...when used in a fridge that is worth a damn. Works great for it's intended purpose of cooling wine bottles though. :LOL:

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Best regret …. Buying too many “daily” smokes
Some are actually really good but now that buying has came to a reasonable amount I wish I had more space. I have more than enough storage space that has overflown into drawers and 2 coolers. Plastic bags….. so could’ve would’ve should’ve bought less of the lesser quality sticks. I’ll smoke every one of them thangs but I have enough to last years….

I had access to 2 more boxes of Henry clay tattoo ( colab with Pete Johnson and whoever controlsHenry clay). Those sticks blow my mind. They’re no more and they sold out on sale at my local. Even after I knew how great I loved them. Thought no one else would “find” them.

doubt there’s any more anywhere. They were rolled in 2015.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
As a clarification on my earlier post about tupperdors...I didn't mean that they aren't good or useful. My specific issue was due to having tupperdors inside a compressor wine fridge. The warmest setting on the fridge was around 67 degrees, and even set there, the temp would regularly fluctuate as low as 58. When that happened, the RH in the tupperdors would shoot up as high as 80%, sometimes to the point of having condensation in the damn containers! I got so sick and tired of having to babysit the individual containers by putting in silica packs to bring down RH when it wouldn't go back down, etc etc. I had to drybox my cigars for a week because the burn problems were such a regular occurrence. It's like night and day now...I can just pluck out whatever cigar I want to smoke right when I want to smoke it, no burn issues.

All that said, tupperdors rock...when used in a fridge that is worth a damn. Works great for it's intended purpose of cooling wine bottles though. :LOL:
I keep my audew unplugged except in the hottest time of the year. Looks nice.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
@Texican you can solve that problem with an Inkbird
I was considering it, but then I realized that my total spend on the fridge would end up being as much or more than the Audew anyway. Besides, the wife insisted on keeping a few bottles of her Pinot in there, which automatically limited my tupperdor space (and gave me rationalization/ammo for the Audew purchase...at least in my mind...).