What's new

Black Cavendish?

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is a pipe smoker who hangs out at my regular cigar lounge (Holt's) who smokes black cavendish, and it always smells GREAT. I want to try some and wondered if anyone has any specific brands to recommend. Also, I noticed that one of the freebies that came from Altadis was Midnight Smoke, which is all black cavendish --- has anyone tried it yet? If so, how was it?

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Captain Black (Lane Tobacco) is probably the most popular cavendish brand. This stuff can be found most anywhere, is pretty cheap and the quality / flavor is pretty decent. It does smoke fairly wet though due to the added PG. The Royal and White blends are the better ones, imo.

Argosy Black (House of Windsor) is also pretty good. I've not tried the Midnight Smoke, but would imagine it's somewhat similiar.

For the vast majority of aromatics though, you will find that the nice aroma does not translate into good / hearty flavors for the smoker.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
tedski said:
... For the vast majority of aromatics though, you will find that the nice aroma does not translate into good / hearty flavors for the smoker.
Ahh, is black cavendish an aromatic? I absolutely agree that the nice aromas of aromatics do not usually = nice flavor. Thanks for the info.

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
I keep a pipe that when the desire arises, I smoke only cavendishes in. Depending on what you smoke, it can change to taste of your pipe!

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Well by definition, almost any tobacco can be considered "aromatic". But the general consensus in the US is that all tobaccos with added flavorings / toppings are in this category. (Contrast this with the UK, where they consider aromatics to be those tobaccos with a strong natural aroma ... like latakia + orientals).

I really don't have any experience with an unadulterated straight black cavendish tobacco. In my mind this would probably taste fairly mild + bland. I'm sure you could probably find this through Cornell + Diehl though.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cavendish is made from Virginia and Burley, with a casing added...some other nice items to try:

Non-Aromatic:

Esoterica - Penzance
MacBaren - Navy Flake
G. Pease - Odyssey
Peterson - University Flake
Lane - Burly Mild (aka Burley Light Without A Bite)

Aromatic:

Murray - Erinmore Flake
Esoterica - Pembroke
MacBaren - Vanilla
MacBaren - Plumcake
Gawith Hoggarth - Bob's Chocolate Flake

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BC is half of my everyday all day smoke. I get one pound of Lane's BCA (Black Cavendish) and one pound of Lane's 1Q (Golden Cavendish) and blend it together. Most shops get these bulk tobacco's and put their own label on them to sell by the ounce.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cavendish-processed tobacco is usually so prepared in order to be artificially flavoured ("cased".)

Unflavoured ("English") Cavendish, however, is also used to make a heavy mixture lighter and milder. It gives a smokey English blend a creamier underlying feel.

A classic unflavoured pure-Cavendish tobacco is Rattray's Dark Fragrant.