What's new

Black Dog Coffee - Ethiopian Harrar Horse Grade 4

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I just got a shipment of this in yesterday and roasted several pounds today. It's still resting so I haven't had a chance to cup it myself yet but this lot has gotten very favorable reviews.
I took it to a Full City roast, just at the verge of 2nd crack. Since my late afternoon roasting session it has already begun to develop some fruity aroma and appears to be a winner!

PM if interested.

$5 per half pound/$10 per pound plus USPS Priority Mail

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Brian,
Tom's statement above has me wondering.

With this really fresh stuff should we not buy more than we can drink in say a week or so to prevent the coffee from getting stale?

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Excellent point. I usually recommend that people don't buy more than they can use in two weeks. After that the coffee is still good but the flavor begins to deteriorate and discerning noses (like mine!) can pick up the aroma of the oils going stale. Starbucks gets around that by roasting everything so dark the roast flavor overrides everything, including nuances of origin and staling.

Edit: I don't mean that to be a jab at Starbucks or any other dark roasters. If I'm on the road and need coffee that's where I go. It's also a form of "branding" for them. A cup of joe from their store at the airport in DC has to taste the same as the one you buy when you get to LA. Also, given their size, it's logistically impossible for them to try to keep fresh coffee in their stores. Starbucks holds that the shelf life of roasted coffee is 9-12 months and some outfits just keep it until it sells, however long it takes.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I would be cool with a step wise coffee club. Let me explain. You can buy into a coffee club at 3 month periods. You get the beans you feel fit to be sent. There would be different levels/different prices depending on how much you drink. I only have 2 cups a day. So 2 pounds a month for me is perfect. Some guys would want 4-5 pounds/month. I would be all for a coffee club like this.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I hope the coffee club works out. Would be great to try out new stuff all the time.