What's new

Blending with Mata Fina filler

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently discovered that I have about 2 pounds of the Mata Fina (upper stalk position) filler from WLT. I purchased these in 2017 based on a number of positive reviews, but never did anything with them.
I rolled a small puro of Mata Fina last night, and thought it was quite nice. The flavors are a bit subtle, however, would probably be lost in a robust mix.
Can you recommend some fillers that would complement the Mata Fina? Where should I start?
Thanks!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been using mine sparingly. I do hope we can get some more of that. I like to keep the more dominating leaves away from the mata fina like, San Vicente, Paraguay, Honduras or the Vuelta Abajo Ligero. They tend to out shine it.
Use Criollo/corojo/Piloto viso, T-13, Rene, Cibao dom seco. I do like it with the Vuelta Abajo Binder in smaller amounts as a second binder.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I've been using mine sparingly. I do hope we can get some more of that. I like to keep the more dominating leaves away from the mata fina like, San Vicente, Paraguay, Honduras or the Vuelta Abajo Ligero. They tend to out shine it.
Use Criollo/corojo/Piloto viso, T-13, Rene, Cibao dom seco. I do like it with the Vuelta Abajo Binder in smaller amounts as a second binder.
I will echo this. Stick to a milder Dominican ligero like the piloto. It plays really well with corojo, criollo, and habano fillers. I have best results with a Nicaraguan or Dominican binder

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments! Since the Mata Fina is identified as "upper stalk position," I had assumed it would serve the role of a ligero or viso in a blend. From the recommendations, it sounds like it can be added in greater quantity...
What proportion of the blend should the Mata Fina constitute? 25%? 50% 75%

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I enjoyed the Mata Fina with Dominican ligero and piloto seco along with Dominican binder and Ecuadorian seco wrapper. This paired well with bourbon...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I still have some of the first two offerings that I'll use sparingly. You might remember that last damaged offering. That better not be the stuff. though I bought a good load of it and still use it. The wording thing is something though.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I agree. The damaged leaf is still tasty. And the new wording makes me wonder...

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I'm wondering if it will be like the mata fina I fell in love with....it says mata fina...it might be the goods! But I'm wondering, will it be the same?

And, I thought it was funny that there was CV Nicaraguan leaf...but as alluded to elsewhere, it may be Nicaraguan seeded plant grown in Dominican fields...

While I wonder about the words, I'm still rolling and smoking to see what comes of it. In the end, that's where it matters, right?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm wondering if it will be like the mata fina I fell in love with....it says mata fina...it might be the goods! But I'm wondering, will it be the same?

And, I thought it was funny that there was CV Nicaraguan leaf...but as alluded to elsewhere, it may be Nicaraguan seeded plant grown in Dominican fields...

While I wonder about the words, I'm still rolling and smoking to see what comes of it. In the end, that's where it matters, right?
Yep. Yeah, that was a new one on me, too, "Nicaraguan seed, grown in the DR."

Nothing surprises me anymore in the leaf game, I just like to know what words and sentences are intended to communicate.