What's new

Bolivar Gold Medal '08

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I (think) I picked this up in a box pass about 10 years ago from Bass Man. I liked the shiny foil. The wrapper has a wet earthy smell that follows through on the palate. The draw is tighter than I like but it'll work. My humi is registering 64% which is a bit higher than I like.
Nothing exciting for the first inch but then the flavors blossom into rich earth and roasted coffee flavors. Cocoa flavors are complimenting the coffee and some subtle black cherry flavor keeps it interesting. It just keeps getting richer. The cocoa has morphed into chocolate. No resting smoke, but when I puff I get plenty. Could be the cool wet day we are having. Much better than the '09 I had many years ago. But who's to say what the '09 tastes like today. Much fuller and richer than most (disappointing) '08-'09s I've smoked recently. These are built for more aging but smoking fine now. Not unlike a great nicaraguan stick without the blast of pepper and (obviously) better aging. Easy to retrohale. Reminds me of what I expected from a Boli (like the '08 Corona Jrs) and experienced 10 years ago. Seems like Bolis from the mid 2010s have been milder or just what I've smoked. I don't smoke a lot of Bolis as I generally think of them as stronger sticks than what I am in the mood for, so take that for what its worth.
Half way point and the richness has ticked down a notch and the flavors are blending together but still present. The final third and the flavors remain much the same but the black cherry has become more prominent. The body has ticked up a notch making this one of the more full bodied CCs that I've smoked.

Last edited:

Havanaaddict

Mr. Salomones
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I bought a box when they first came out back then half the box was tight. I never bought another box but I regret not taking a chance because the ones I’ve smoked in the last year or so have been nothing short of amazing. Spot on on the review

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Thanks for the review. Wish I had some more of these.
I bought a box when they first came out back then half the box was tight. I never bought another box but I regret not taking a chance because the ones I’ve smoked in the last year or so have been nothing short of amazing. Spot on on the review

Agree on both counts. When these are on they are nothing short of amazing.