What's new

Books: What are the Brothers reading?

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
I figured there would be a Books thread in the other interests forum but there isn't. I love to read and I'm sure some of you do too. There are some similar posts but most of them are really old.

If there's interest maybe this can be a place to post a great read or an author people need to check out.

Some of my favorite authors are Hunter S. Thompson (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, The Rum Diary, Hells Angel), Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club, Lullaby, Choke), and Charles Bukowski (Notes of a Dirty Old Man, Ham on Rye) just to name a few.

Some of my favorite books include anything from HST, The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test (Tom Wolfe), Requiem for a Dream (Hubert Selby Jr.), The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien), and a few more I can't remember.

I do like military history books, some Sci-Fi, crime thrillers, and books about people's exploits in the 50's and 60's.

Currently I'm not reading anything specific. So, what are you guys into?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Currently reading: Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail, '72.

some favorites:
Great Gatsby (best book of all time), F. Scott Fitzgerald
I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell, Tucker Max
Night Shift, Stephen King
Economix, Bill Burr & Michael Goodwin
Me Talk Pretty One Day, David Sedaris
Lone Survivor, Marcus Luttrel
lots of Hemingway
Common Sense and Other Writings, Thomas Payne
Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Robert Louis Stevenson
The Art of War, Sun Tzu
Welcome to the Monkey House, Kurt Vonnegut
Marine Sniper, forget the author... it's about Carlos Hathcock in Vietnam

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I like a wide variety of books

-Game of Thrones Series
-Jack Reacher Series (movie was god awful)
-Zero to One by Peter Thiel
-On a Pale Horse and the rest of that series
-Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding (Arnold Schwarzenegger)

I think I will be reading Mike Tysons biography next.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great idea Misch!
My Favorite Authors (and my favorite book by said Author)
- Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged is amazing!)
- Ernest Hemingway (A Farewell to Arms)
- C.S. Lewis (Mere Christianity)

and a run down of some other favorite books by authors I haven't necessarily read a lot of
- Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky
- The Walking Drum - Louis La'mour
- Wheel of Time Series - Robert Jordan
- The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Harry Potter!

Edit: I have not gotten to read regularly since having my first child in July 2013...followed by the second child in October 2014. When time is available...I need to start again.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Edit: I have not gotten to read regularly since having my first child in July 2013...followed by the second child in October 2014. When time is available...I need to start again.
My first two were born 13 months apart! I totally know how you feel right now. Of course, we then waited three years, had a third, and then had #4 and #5 17 months later!

So my reading time has been limited for the past few years, but a few books I've really enjoyed:

Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand
Bonhoeffer, by Eric Mataxas
Reason for the Hope Within, by Tim Keller
The Man Who Was Thursday, by GK Chesterton
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, by Susanna Clarke
When We Were Orphans, by Kazuo Ishiguru

EDIT: Also really, really liked No Country for Old Men, by Cormac McCarthy.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I know you know Misch, but I like crime thrillers. I like Ludlum, James Patterson, John Sanford and his Prey Series. It's been a long time since I've finished a book, although I've started many.

I've got the Game of Thrones series, but I have yet to even finish the first, despite watching season one.

I enjoyed Harry Potter, and A Series of Unfortunate Events, when I was younger.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I know you know Misch, but I like crime thrillers. I like Ludlum, James Patterson, John Sanford and his Prey Series. It's been a long time since I've finished a book, although I've started many.

I've got the Game of Thrones series, but I have yet to even finish the first, despite watching season one.

I enjoyed Harry Potter, and A Series of Unfortunate Events, when I was younger.
Edit: I forgot to mention that I like Dan Brown and someone whose name escapes me at the moment, but it will come and I'll re-edit.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
My apologies for the slight derail, but I'm curious if I should start a new thread: Would the readers of BOTL be interested in doing a book pass, or something of the sort?

ETA: less a pass, and more "Hey, I'm done reading XYZ. Would anybody like it?" etc.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrel is currently on the nightstand.

Last year I went through a period where I read a lot of Thomas Sowell's stuff. Basic Economics: A Common Sense Guide to the Economy, Economic Facts and Fallacies, Intellectuals and Society, and The Vision of the Anointed: Self-Congratulation As a Basis for Social Policy were all good reads in my opinion. I also enjoyed reading Jung's The Undiscovered Self.

For good old escapist fiction I read through Larry Coriea's Monster Hunter International series. I also picked my way through a bit of old Raymond Chandler and some Stephen Hunter. I tried to work my way through some other stuff. I just find a lot of modern fiction to be too preachy or terribly written. A lot of it seems like it was written for tenth graders or written by failed MFA students.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I'm currently reading First Things: An Inquiry into First Principles of Moral and Justice by Hadley Arkes, who is great. I just finished The Innovators by Walter Isaacson, which was very good.

In general, I try to alternate mindless fiction - Tom Clancy, Vince Flynn, etc with something a little more substantive.
I also recently got really into Gene Hill. Great books about hunting, but also life.

ETA: Those are just Amazon links for reference, I don't profit in anyway from them (e.g. affiliate links).

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Great idea Misch!
My Favorite Authors (and my favorite book by said Author)
- Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged is amazing!)
- Ernest Hemingway (A Farewell to Arms)
- C.S. Lewis (Mere Christianity)

and a run down of some other favorite books by authors I haven't necessarily read a lot of
- Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky
- The Walking Drum - Louis La'mour
- Wheel of Time Series - Robert Jordan
- The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Harry Potter!

Love Louis La'mour.

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Currently reading: Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail, '72.

some favorites:
Great Gatsby (best book of all time), F. Scott Fitzgerald
I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell, Tucker Max
Night Shift, Stephen King
Economix, Bill Burr & Michael Goodwin
Me Talk Pretty One Day, David Sedaris
Lone Survivor, Marcus Luttrel
lots of Hemingway
Common Sense and Other Writings, Thomas Payne
Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Robert Louis Stevenson
The Art of War, Sun Tzu
Welcome to the Monkey House, Kurt Vonnegut
Marine Sniper, forget the author... it's about Carlos Hathcock in Vietnam
I like your style. F&L on the Campaign Trail was a fun book. I liked all the debauchery that happened on the press bus.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I like your style. F&L on the Campaign Trail was a fun book. I liked all the debauchery that happened on the press bus.
I'm sad I watched the movie Gonzo before reading it because, while still hilarious, it took away somewhat from the shock & awe of some of it. Like the ibogaine thing... SO GOOD. The fact that people believed it is beyond hysterical to me.