Botl Blind review for cigar No.4

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Bolivar Petit Corona JUN 2006

Reviewer No.1

Drink: Thomas Kemper root beer.

Appearance: A classic sized petit corona that is in the round. Some veins and a meduim brown shade wrapper.

Cut & pre light: This cigar cut nice and even with my Xiker cutter. Pre light draw had a little resistance to it.

1/3: Fired this cigar up with my Zippo tourch lighter and was hit with some dark earthy, coffee and oak like flavors. Cigar holds a nice 1'' ash that is meduim to meduim dark in color. I would say this cigar is on the fuller side of meduim for strenght and flavor.

2/3: The burnt oak flavors are becoming more pronounced in this cigar as it burns down. I can still taste the dark coffee flavors as well. So far this cigar burns nice and fairly even. No touch up's required so far.

3/3: The strong oak flavors have faded away some and the cigar has also sweetend up a little and is really smoking well. Dark coffee and bitter chocolate with some nice mild earthyness as well in the background. The strenght had dropped a slight bit to med to med full at the most. Burnt well all the way down with only one touch up towards the end.

Score: I would give this cigar a score of 89

Final Thoughts: This was a very petit corona that you would want to smoke in the afternoon. I suspect it will only get better and better as it ages and become a 90+ cigar.

Reviewer No.2

Prelight
Not the nicest wrapper ever, but definitely provided a sweet aroma. Draw seemed tight after cutting.
Lit easily with a nice initial floral aroma.

First Third
Struggled a bit with the draw. Light to medium background of cedar, with notes of a buttery, oaky Chardonnay and honey. Great burn, nice ash, with a beautiful, sweet floral aroma.

Second Third
The draw opened up, and the flavor profile really started to develop.
Notes of peanut butter and honey with a creamy teaxture contratsted with a background of charred oak.
Gorgoues ash lasted through the entire half of the cigar. A thin burn line suggested some age on this cigar.

Last Third
Wow…The Cuban “twang” started to assert itself….An impressive amount of rich flavors from a fairly elegant sized cigar. Notes of milk chocolate, raisins, graham crackers, and buckwheat honey abound in a background of charred oak, cedar, and spicy earth.
…Very nice smoke

Closing
Very well balanced cigar with an excellent burn and wonderful aroma. The sweeter flavors are contratsed very well with the wood and earth notes…Thoughoughly enjoyable experience.

90/100

Reviewer No.3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ve been getting a little tired of the lounge I have been going to lately, too many guys smoking shitty smelling cigars. So I went to a lounge I haven’t been to in awhile. My buddy and I went back to our old seats and I pulled out review cigar #4. I don’t know if it was a conscience decision or coincidence, but this cigar is a Marevas or No. 4 sized cigar.

Appearance: The cigar was a very nice looking Petite Corona with a nutty brown looking wrapper. The wrapper had only one sizeable vein and was otherwise blemish free. I thought the wrapper was slightly dry to the touch, but it could have been my dry skin, I hate winter! I don’t think this came from a dress box as it looked perfectly round.

Draw: The pre light draw was a touch on the firm side. I had no trouble however getting a full body of smoke. After the first inch the draw was perfect. I guess it needed to warm up a little bit.
Flavor: After the first puff I was VERY impressed with the flavors. “Spicy, Spicy; Tangy, Tangy” is what I wrote in my notes. I made up my mind right then and there what my guess would be for this cigar. Throughout the entire length of the cigar there was a tangy, slightly sweet flavor to this cigar. The finish was very long with hints of leather and smoked meaty goodness!! A very tasty cigar to say the least.
Burn: The burn on the cigar was a little crooked at first, but corrected itself after about an inch. I did not have to touch of this cigar at all. The ash was very firm and held together very nicely. The high quality construction of this cigar is very evident.

Appearance 19/20
Ash 9/10
Draw 10/10
Smoke 10/10
Flavor 19/20
Finish 19/20
Burn 9/10
Overall score: 95
Final thoughts: This was a first rate cigar! Very complex in flavor, excellent construction and a beautiful finish make this a truly wonderful experience that will only get better with age. Unless I am totally off base, this was a Bolivar Petit Corona

Reviewer No.4

Review for cigar #4.

The cigar was a beautiful Colorado Claro shade with a long, even triple cap. Construction was firm througout with a pungent, yet refined, unlit aroma. There was a slight firm spot within 1/2" from the head of the cigar but after after clipping, didn't reveal itself to be a problem. The draw was perfect; slightly resistant with enough pull to let you know something was there.

Immediately after lighting with the "no draw" method, the cigar displayed prototypical Montecristo flavors of cocoa & coffee, almost mocha, with the slightest tangy fruit taste. I love this profile. Its what made me fall in love with Cuban Cigars. The mocha flavor added some minor nutty tastes and started transitioning over to more of the tangy fruit flavor that was just supporting in the beginning. This taste is not one I prefer. I find it can be very pronounced in the #2s.

The final 3rd saw an almost complete dissapearance of the tang and a reemergence of the the coffee flavor in spades. Where the coffee & cocoa were equal earlier, the cocoa was significantly lessened here.

If I had to venture a guess I think I'd have to choose Montecristo #4 from 2005 but it's entirely possible that this was one of the latemodel Diplo 4's that have recently been discontinued.

I'll say Monte 4, 2005, and score it a 92. There's a reason this cigar is the most popular Habanos vitola in the world. This is it.

Reviewer No.5

Nice looking cigar. Dark tan wrapper, triple seam cap with a few veins.
Drink - Diet Coke
Pre light draw - Good tobacco taste a little sweet.
1/3 - Fired up with torch and started out with a bang. Ample smoke with good spice, cedar and a maple syrup finish. Burn was off, had to touch up a couple of times with lighter to correct.

2/3 Smoking great. Perfect draw, lots of leather, cedar, spice and a long, long finish. Dark grey almost black ash.

Final 3rd - Intense leather, cedar and tobacco flavors . Excellent balance.
Overall an very good cigar. A great example of a petite corona with some age. I need to get my hands on some of these! Score 93
I give up on guessing since I am 0 for 3.

Reviewer No.6

#4 was a nice Petite Corona Size cigar. Some veining and no construction issues were noted. This was a well made cigar. Pre-light hints of cedar, citrus and some spice. I paired this with a couple of Stellas.

Smoking this cigar brought on notes of nuttiness and cedary spice. This is medium bodied smoke with plenty cream, coffee, and a slight sweetness from chocolate. Other flavors that I picked up now and again were of leather, citrus and floral.

The draw of this cigar was phenomenal as I got plenty of smoke. The burn needed to be touched up twice, but no other issues were noted.

Overall, this cigar was good. I enjoyed the flavors and I know I have had this cigar many times in the past. I guess this one to be a Boli PC.

I rate this one as a 85/100.

Thanks Kirk for hosting again!

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Any cigars mentioned in this post that appear to be Cuban in origin are completely fictional in nature. Any resemblance between these cigars and actual Cuban cigars is unintended and purely coincidental.

Thank you for clearing things up for me! :thumbsup:

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I am completely floored. I'd have bet money that this was a Monte 4.

Read through all the reviews. What consistency! Construction was very good on most examples and everyone seemed to enjoy it very much. Coffee & sweet cocoa are, I think, in every review. Awesome job guys!

I swear, I didnt' taste a bit of boli earthiness or that rich, savory type spiciness. Crazy.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
I also thought Boli PC, but was afraid to guess!

The best cigar so far.

I promise to run my final draft through spell check next time like I usually do...Geez! "contratsed"? WTF?!