BOTL Blind review for cigar No.6

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
SEP 2007 Bolivar Royal Corona

Reviewer No.1

Drink: Happy hour Rum and Coke

Appearance: This cigar has a nice meduim chocolate colored wrapper with a few viens on it, with no soft or hard spots. Nice looking tripple cap.

Cut : I punched this cigar and a nice cigarette size hole was formed.

Pre light draw: This cigar draws very well. I get flavors of Tobacco and leather.

1/3: Tourched this cigar with my Zippo and it drew very well as expected. Right off the bat I detect a sweet fruitiness and some mild earthyness and cocoa on the finish. The strength of this cigar is on the meduim light side.

2/3: Cigar is burning and drawing well. Around the mid point I did a quick touch up as I noticed that the burn was starting to get a little uneven. At this point I'm getting mild leather, earthyness and cocoa. The sweet frutiness has dissapeared.The strength has picked up a bit and I would say it about meduim now.

3/3: The cigar continued to burn even and draw well the rest of the way down. The flavors have changed ever so slightly. I get more of a coffee earthy flavor that is meduim in strenght but a little smoother tasting than at the 2/3 point. The ash on this cigar was a nice meduim shade of grey with black lines on it. It never got hot or harsh at any point.

Score: I would give this cigar a score of 88

Final thoughts: I think this cigar would be best enjoyed by those that enjoy a light to meduim strenght cigar. It would also make a good morning or early afternoon smoke. Should get better with age. But I don't expect it to get any stronger in strenght of flavor.

Reviewer No.2

Prelight

Nice looking cigar, with a slight box press and velvety smooth wrapper. Nice sheen, and very few, small veins. Test draw was good.

First Third

This cigar lit well, and provided an initial fruity aroma.
Notes of tart cranberries, coffee, and wheat bread with an earthy, cedar background.
Nice amounts of smoke, light grey ash. Long, lemony finish. The burn needed correction as some tunneling occurred.

Second Third

The notes of this cigar dropped out, leaving flavors of earth and sort of a basalmic vinegar flavor. The finish also tasted of salt and vinegar. The texture was rough…Perhaps this is a young cigar (?)

Last Third

The flavor profile continued to be uncomplicated…Mainly earth, cedar and a long salty finish. The ash was solid throughout the cigar, with a perfectly cone shaped cherry showing good construction.

Closing
This cigar started out with some great flavors, and then they just disappeared. Not a bad cigar, but not memorable either.

70/100

Reviewer No.3

Appearance: This was a robusto sized cigar with a slight box pressed look that suggests that it came from a dress box. The wrapper was light brown in color with a large vein running down the length of the cigar but otherwise the wrapper looked very nice and had a supple feel to it. The cigar felt firm but not overly packed. The cap was a bit uneven but nothing major to worry about.
Draw: The cigar had a wonderful draw. It delivered a very nice body of smoke after I lit it.
Burn: The burn was uneven at first and I needed to correct it a few times for the first 15 minutes. After about an inch and a half the burn straightened out very well. It stayed pretty straight for the rest of the cigar needing only some minor corrections a few times.
Ash: The ash was very firm and held together without much flaking. The ash came off in the ashtray after about 2 inches.
Flavor: I enjoyed this cigar. It was a mild cigar that was on the sweet side. I also noted some floral overtones, which leave me to believe this was an ERDM Choix Supreme. Watch me be wrong, but I’m pretty confident with that guess. I would rate this cigar about an 89.

Reviewer No.4

Cigar #6

Traditional Robusto with a minor boxpress. Somewhat squishy & with a slightly tight draw. Some would say it is perfect but just a bit too much resistance for me. Wrapper color was traditional colorado.

Initial flavors were very papery even though I lit it as I always light my cigars; toasted without drawign through, prior to cutting. After about 10 puffs the unappealing flavor was completely gone and I was greeted with some nice fruity flavors and heavy deep pepper. I was drinking some dark roasted coffee so perhaps that had some effect on my tasting. Some floral flavors and a bit of lemon zest also permeated the 1st third.

The cigar continued on and demonstrated a lot of flavors I'm not too familiar with. Herbs & fruity sweetness that are a bit rich; like the stewed fruits I expect from a RJ Churchills. A little tangy and not overly harsh or strong. I'm guessing its newer production because of the apparent lack of any major tannic bitterness. Most cigars I've had from this decade still exhibit a bit of this, other than those I've had from the last few years production...

The floral flavor became predominantly like roses when entering the final third and the sweetness seemed to almost be in tandem with it. Kind of neat. Good cigar in all. Lots of interesting notes. Almost a sharpie like room aroma at times with a lot of that floral sweetness. I'd smoke this again but don't know if I'd smoke it on a regular basis. Not enough of a traditional core to be that type of cigar (a la partagas, boli, SLR, Juan Lopez) and not enough of the sweetness I like to be that type of a stick (PL, Cohiba, RA, Trini). Good, not great.

Strength stayed around a 2.5/5 and body was medium. I don't know if more time would change this into something I enjoy a bit more but nonetheless, it was a nice experience right now.
Score 85/100

ADDITIONAL THOUGHT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would venture to guess that this is another RJ Short Churchills but don't think it has enough of a core of tobacco to be convinced of it. I know the two cigars aren't even close but I'll also say there's a small chance that this could be a Boli Royal Corona. There's a bit of earth to go with that sweetness that makes me wonder. Both cigars are not ones that I smoke so I can only guess by deduction... Not usually a good recipe

Reviewer No.5

Feels good in the hand with a handsome dark wrapper and OK cap.
Pre light draw, spice and tobacco.
Put the torch to it and came out of the gate swinging! Tasty pepper BOMB on the first third, with coffee bean and leather. Even burn and nice finish.

2/3 This smoke is rocking, with full flavors of spice, dark sweet earth and coco bean. A long lovely finish.

Last third (To the nub) Pepper returned but less intense. More earth, coco, coffee and leather that tingle the tongue. Burning perfectly wit a medium dark grey ash.

Over all an excellent smoke, not for the weak of palate. It started so intense it reminded me of a Pepin product. Full of flavor but with balance (Daniel-son) and a long finish that left me wanting more.
93 Points
Very good now, a classic with some age...

Reviewer No.6

Cigar #6 review

I smoked this cigar with a nice glass of Legendario 7 year Rum. This cigar has a nice light brown wrapper with some veins. The construction was well done and the pre-light draw was slightly restricted. Hints of citrus, cedar, light hay were present.

I toasted this on and a good deal of smoke emitted from this one. The restriction caused some issues though. There were also burn issue, as this one would not stay lit.

I dealt with these two issues throughout the entire cigar, so the final third caused me to toss it. The flavors did remain good, but not worth the trouble.

Overall i rated this cigar with as a 77, mainly because of the flavor, but the burn and restricted draw kept the overall enjoyment down.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Thanks to all that participated in these reviews. It was a lot of fun and I look forward to doing them again in the future.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Do I get credit for a correct answer even though it was my 1b guess? :)
I did pretty good this run 3/5 with one skipped review for being sick. Not too shabby.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Many thanks to Kirk for organizing this tasting…Getting it started, sending out reminders, and chasing after late reviews (mine included!). He did a great job, and we all had fun because of it…Thanks.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Do your arms get tired from patting yourself on the back?

:stretchgr
Someone has to promote a little interaction out of you other blind reviewers! This has been the slowest & least respondent group yet! Sheesh!
:bangbang:

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Do I get credit for a correct answer even though it was my 1b guess? :)
I did pretty good this run 3/5 with one skipped review for being sick. Not too shabby.
Craig: 3 out of 5 is pretty good IMO. :wink: If I didn't know what they were? I'm not sure if I would have done that well.

Reading everyones guesses is one of my favorite parts of doing these blind reviews.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Someone has to promote a little interaction out of you other blind reviewers! This has been the slowest & least respondent group yet! Sheesh!
:bangbang:
I hear ya...Based on how late many of these reviews have been, and the lack of responses; I think this has just been a super busy time for many.
I enjoyed it, tho...Pretty cool that the Boli PC got the most praise.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Reading everyones guesses is one of my favorite parts of doing these blind reviews.
Agreed. Its always the part that guarantees to please. Sometimes reading the similarities in flavors can be absolutely amazing though.

Like I said in my last review, sometimes I can guess the stick through powers of deduction more than spotting a profile. I love it when we all get the same sort of sweetness or some oddball tangyness or something. THAT makes me think that I'm on to something more than actually being able to guess the front mark.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I hear ya...Based on how late many of these reviews have been, and the lack of responses; I think this has just been a super busy time for many.
I enjoyed it, tho...Pretty cool that the Boli PC got the most praise.
You might be right, Clint. Many have to work twice as hard to make half as much... Reviews just take a back burner by necessity...

Regarding the Boli PCs, I can't say it for certain but I think that Boli PCs have to AT LEAST be considered for most consistent cigar of the "aughts". Love em, love em, love em.