What's new

BOTL Gives Back - Operation Esteli, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
I am proudly posting this on behalf of Dave (mdwest) who is the acting Charity Sponsor for this important project.
This post and the subsequent post will be updated frequently. -Eric

Several months ago BradMc (BOTL Charity Liaison) and I entered into a discussion about how BOTL might get involved in some sort of charitable action or initiative that could make a meaningful difference in one of the tobacco growing countries and really impact peoples lives in a positive way. Some of you may know that last year I founded a 501(c)3 Non-Profit called Micro Project Initiative (with much assistance provided by a couple of key BOTL board members along the way). The purpose of this non-profit is pretty simple, to capitalize on a global network of contacts and find ways to deliver low cost, but high yield, sustainable development services in developing countries that improve the lives of children. In short, MPI is NOT a job or a career move really so much as it is a tool that can be used by other groups (such as BOTL) to do good things for good people in communities around the world. It is not intended to “make money”, pay a salary, or do anything other than act as a link between donors and recipients, and help with some of the challenges associated with delivering services into developing countries… Anyway.. the discussions with Brad lead to us speaking with Eric about all that is typed out below… (which he thankfully supports whole heartedly)..

In short…. We’re (BOTL) adopting a classroom full of kids in Esteli!
MPI will act as the vehicle we use to raise funds, offer tax deductible receipts for all donations, etc. and will assist in delivering those funds to Esteli. This however is a BOTL project (just don’t want any confusion about why we’ll be pointing you to the MPI website on occasion for donations or other actions). Everything we do from this point forward is about the BOTL community and what we can achieve as a group.

The school year in Nicaragua runs roughly the same dates as it does in the US. The school day however is only 4 hours long in Esteli. At the mid-day point students are released. The learning environment presented in Esteli schools is inadequate for optimal learning and many school aged children in Esteli also suffer from malnutrition and often limited to only the evening meal at home. In response to these deficiencies in the Nicaragua education system, privately funded Educational Centers such as the Maria Auxiliadora Education Center (MAEC) in Esteli give children a place to go for the remainder of the day to continue with learning subjects such as reading, writing, arithmetic. The MAEC even has a small computer lab where children are taught basic computer skills. Children attending classes at MAEC are also fed a nutritious meal as part of the school lunch program which aids in the children’s food security and overall health.

Details on how BOTL is going to make a difference are as follows:

WHO: US! The collective membership of BOTL.

WHAT: Raises $7500 to completely fund a primary school classroom for six months in Esteli, Nicaragua (includes salaries for 2 Primary Education Teachers, teacher training/technical assistance, learning materials, and daily school lunches for all children, and covers all associated project delivery costs).

WHERE: Maria Auxiliadora Education Center, Esteli Nicaragua

WHY: While Estelí enjoys relative prosperity compared to other regions in Nicaragua, poverty still reaches and impacts the population. Almost 25% of the people in Estelí live in extreme poverty by the definition provided by the World Bank (less than US$1.25 per day). Many of the impoverished work in the city´s cigar´s factories. The impact of poverty is evident in the poor standard of education. In Esteli the school day is only 4 hours long, and provides only minimal educational opportunities to children.
The Estelí Education Center provides refuge and opportunity to children living in the city and surrounding rural areas. The center offers support for children in two key areas:

• Primary Education/Education Enrichment: Provides academic support and extracurricular opportunities for children and adolescents to reinforce important subjects like reading and math. The program also includes teacher training and/or technical assistance, distribution of school supplies, and parent engagement.
  • Food Security and Nutrition: Seeks to improve the nutritional levels of children and increase the food security within communities through the provision of daily school lunches, school/family garden assistance, and community workshops.
The Estelí Education Center´s principal need in 2014 and 2015 is salary support for its Primary Education Enrichment Teachers and learning materials for its students.
BOTL’s membership has the opportunity to “give back” and help improve the lives of children in a community that has given so much to BOTL membership.

WHEN: WE START RIGHT NOW!
Funds to be distributed no later than September 2014 (actual date to be determined dependent on the availability of BOTL representative for travel and Esteli student group availability).

HOW: We’re going to run a series of fundraising activities over the next couple of months. Expect to see a raffle, an auction, and an opportunity to direct purchase some items (t-shirts, etc) in the coming weeks, with all proceeds going toward our goal (neither BOTL or MPI is taking any money out of this… every penny donated will go toward the execution of this project)..

In the meantime, while we start putting together these fundraising events, if you are so inclined, you can go to the MPI website and click on the “Operation Esteli” donation button located at http://microprojectinitiative.org/donate. DO NOT click on the other, general “donation” button. We want to make sure that there is no co-mingling of funds and that all money intended for Operation Esteli goes directly there (please pay attention and click the correct button!).

Also, please help us SPREAD THE WORD. Go check out BOTL and MPI facebook and like our Operation Esteli posts. Follow both of us on twitter and re-tweet our Operation Esteli messages. Share a link to this thread. Tell your friends and family, etc..etc.. Help us reach our goal and do something meaningful for a poor and impoverished community that has played such a huge role in bringing us happiness and joy. Tell everyone you can, tell them how to join in on the action, and lets make this happen.

Lastly, GET PERSONALLY INVOLVED. Money is not the only thing we need to accomplish this mission. If you cant afford to participate financially, or choose to for any reason at all, that is ABSOLUTELY OK.. but please consider helping out in other ways.. There is a whole lot to do here, and Brad, Eric, and I only have so much time/ability to get it all done ourselves. You don’t need to have any particular skill set or experience. We’d just like as many BOTL members as possible to be a part of this as possible, and welcome any assistance you can provide.
If interested in getting your hands dirty and digging into this thing with us.. shoot me (mdwest) a PM and we can talk about a number of different ways to get you plugged in.

ACTIVE FUNDRAISERS

Various auctions in the marketplace

COMPLETED FUNDRAISERS

Wear and show your support with a BOTL Gives Back - Operation Esteli 2014 T-shirt!
https://www.booster.com/operationesteli2014

87 shirts sold - $870 raised!

Last edited:

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Appreciation

The following are individuals and companies recognized for their contribution(s).

Dave (mdwest) - Charity Sponsor
Founder/President Micro Project Initiative

Brad (BradMc) - BOTL Charity Liaison

Matt (YodisMatt) - BOTL Gives Back logo designer
Click here to download a hi-res version for usage

Member contributions

The following members are responsible for making contact and recruiting donations from some of the corporate sponsors.

problemsolver
yodismatt
wicket
ducttapegonewild

The following members either donated items for auction(s) and/or won auction(s).

mwlabel
Angry Bill
bsmall423
smoqman
problemsolverjm
W.B.
jmartins
Cigarblunk
jwintosh
fsfrancis
siakingsport
sdshark
Kingpin
Tag9485

The following members donated items for the OE Raffle.

mdwest
dquintero
upinsmoke
Rupe
CATom
Benvoliomustdie
Joevikes
King Kill 33
BradMc
Smoqman
chefboyrg54
fourkicksfan
jonesry09
cgraunke
cgraunke
3/5 King
Derwood
Bigbill72
3/5 King
ar2381
tag9485
Wicket
lbuzzer
thejavaman
hoshneer
shadowcam
stin187
Nizzle
lifeinsmoke
ENV
siakingspost
javajunkie
Yodismatt
sdshark
Eric
Willzbar
CWS
Javajunkie
ATL
ATL
Speedbump
3/5 King
Aloha Style
Nas
Grrrrr609

The following members who purchased a OE T-shirt.

Andysc83
Angrybill
apnutter
Avvatar
bballbaby
Big Lou
Boppa-Wasch
Bradmc
cgrunkie
Chiefstrongleaf
Cigarblunk
CJM9177
COSmokes
CRAPatrick
CWS
Derwood
dp
dustinspo
Eric
fourkicksfan
hdroadglide
Hendy
Javajunkie
jdog
King Kill 33
kwilliams
lbuzzer
lifeinsmoke
Maduroman
mc808
mdwest
Mista40
Nino18T
Nizzle
rdomfoto
Rick
rupe
Sean
Shadowcam
siakingsport
skullnbones
Smoqman
StogieAddict
stukibuilt
Wicket
Yodismatt
Zama80

The following members who made personal donations.

skullnbones
Yodismatt

The following members were awarded corporate grants.

King Kill 33

Corporate Sponsors

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
What a fantastic project. When I was stationed in Honduras my unit did much the same thing. You cannot begin to imagine the impact it has on these peoples lives. Not sure what I can offer guys, but I will sure give it a shot.

mthhurley

BoM December 2011
Rating - 100%
208   0   0
This is easily the coolest thing I've ever seen done on this board. Thanks to E, BradMC and MDwest and whomever else was involved in putting this together.

When a group of us visited Esteli a few months back and spent a few days at My Father, I was absolutely awe struck by the things that Pepin and My Father do for the community and schools there.

Absolutely brilliant and I cannot wait to help.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
It might be easier to click on the "News" tab, that way you're not confused by the regular "Donate" button, and the "BOTL Gives Back - Donation" button.

I could be wrong. It might be more confusing. Either way, this will also allow you to read up on MPI's news.

I shouldnt be drinking and posting.

But I'm in. This is a good cause. Whoever this MDWest guy is.

-Chrisso

Status
Not open for further replies.