What's new

BOTL Herf & Hunt Suggestions

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
A number of BOTLers expressed in a social experiment involving cigars, hunting, and hilarity (or stupidity, but that is in the eye of the beholder). The way I see it, we'll need to do some pretty significant preparatory work including determining interest, cost, location, game, method, and date. Clearly certain factors rely on the others. A few things to think about while we start organizing:

• We'd want to avoid any draw only game. Over the counter tags for birds, pigs, and deer would be the logical route to take unless we are okay with going to a game farm. Some folks have ethical issues with hunting fenced in animals.
  • Any guides, ranch owners, and/or outfitters should reach out to us. Soon.
  • The midwest is common ground for all of us on the East and West coasts; but I'm from the West coast. It's cold there. I can brave it, just sayin'...
  • Proximity to an airport and hospitality services may be important to a number of folks for the sake of convenience and arrival/departure efficiency.
Anyone have anything further to add?

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Conceptually I LOVE the idea… cigars, hunting, hilarity and booze (after the hunt of course), but I would be such a pain in the ass I can't imagine anyone would tolerate me. If it walks on all fours or mates for life I couldn't bring myself to kill it or see it being killed.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Love the idea of a hog hunt in south central US. (TX?)
Then there's no shortage of game and no licence/draw issues. They're breeding faster than the farmers can kill 'em off.
USHOG offered to host earlier this year, but I'd want to get firearms involved. That wasn't the case for his hunts.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
The TX hog hunts are year-round, offer archery and firearm alternatives, non-hunters are welcome, and the most successful hunting is at night. The 5 day general hunting license is $48 or so. DSCL has volunteered to be the BBQ master. ;)

If we decide on TX, I'm within driving distance so I can help a 4WD pickup and 3 person Ranger.

@WW79 - Most ranchers offer a 2.5 day/3 night deal perfect for a long-ish weekend.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
So I found a little spot that would be more than happy to host up to 20 people in North Texas midway between Dallas and Lubbock so about 2 hours from either airport. The typical hunt (2 1/2 day, 3 night) would consist of an afternoon arrival on Thursday and departure on Sunday. Lodging and all meals will be $650 per person not including licenses or anything else. Non-hunters are $125 per day, and the ranch was highly recommended by the hunting community.

They are booking large groups now for Feb - Mar - Apr although if there are only a few folks that are interested we could get in even before Xmas. If you have night vision scopes, FLIR, suppressors, or other NFA reg'ed you're good to use them. The most successful hunts are at night on baited areas.

Thoughts?

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I'm headed to TX Dec 3rd - 9th to hangout and chase the whitetail. $650 isn't bad for lodging, food and a little pig hunt but I'm just not sure how much appetite I have to go all the way back out to TX in Feb.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Man would love to join you but that be on the pricey side for me. Maybe meet up for a bird hunt somewhere

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
@CWS We're chasing Gambel's this weekend about halfway between Phoenix and Flagstaff in some fairly prickly terrain although flat. Mearns' quail opens December 5th, and we're heading down to the border area around Patagonia that weekend. We had a good amount of rain, so we're hopeful the hatch was good. It's pretty rough and hilly down there since the lil' f-ers never sit at the top or the bottom... they're always midway up where you have to try to gain footing at a 45 degree angle.

You're welcome to join; we have about 10 dogs that we'll be rotating through each day.