What's new

Bourbon Fans and Appreciators

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Brothers. I'm starting this new thread to discuss the wonderful and exciting world of Bourbon Whiskey. Its also gonna be used for any tips that you Brothers have for Bourbons, that have touched you in ways only you can describe. It's for anyone and anything Bourbon, so have it!!! I'm not really a Scotch or Irish Whisky drinker (yet) but if you'd like to contribute a suggestion, I don't think anyone will mind.
1.) What's your favorite Bourbon (currently or ever) and why?
2.) What excites you about it (flavor characteristics and profile)?
3.) Are you usually a Neat drinker or do you prefer adding to it (water, ice, w/e)?
4.) Do you enjoy Cigars with your Bourbon?

No answer is a bad answer, I'm just excited to share in this terrific hobby and pastime with all of you.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll start the party. This is my current stock of "The Big Boys" the 100 and upward Proofed Bourbons. My favorite currently being Bookers (126.7). It leaves an oily thick mouth feel on the palette with a finish so long that one sip is enough (until the 2nd one beckons). I drink it Neat, which I know isn't common for such a high proof but I love it. Once the palette is primed the 2nd sip is much softer. Love cigars with this bourbon, so many new characteristics are introduced when a fresh stogie is added.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
1. I have many current favorites... Four Roses Single Barrel and Private Selections, Woodford Double Oak, Booker's, EWSB, Old Weller Antique to name a few. I am hesitant to name my all time bourbon because I have enjoyed many over the years. If asked to name the most memorable it would have to be the Parker Heritage Selection 27 year old. The company was great, the atmosphere perfect, a great bourbon...very memorable.
2. I like flavor complexity
3. I drink it straight, on the rocks, cut with a few drops of water and in cocktails. I'm of the Booker Noe school of thought when it comes to bourbon. "It's my bourbon and I'll drink it any damn well I please." It is for enjoyment. The most perfect Old Fashioned for my taste has to have Booker's. Most days when making cocktails I am a huge fan of Bottled in Bonds but occasionally I will put any bourbon in a cocktail. Better ingredients better cocktails. Depending on my mood there are no "sipper only" bourbons.
4. The right cigar with the right bourbon is simply ethereal.

My advice to anyone looking to stock their bourbon bar would be to sample as many as you can at the bar, buy what you like from your local merchant(significantly increases your chances of snagging one of the rarities, don't pine over trying to obtain the "rare" bottles as there are just too many good readily available bourbons out there (and for goodness sake stay out of the secondary market and those obscene prices) and when you find something you like buy at least 2 bottles. One last thing as with cigars don't wait for that perfect moment to open that "special bottle". It was made to be enjoyed. Sometimes the right to to open that special bottle may be something as simple as "it's Tuesday night". Life is short. Get it all while the gettin's good!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll start the party. This is my current stock of "The Big Boys" the 100 and upward Proofed Bourbons. My favorite currently being Bookers (126.7). It leaves an oily thick mouth feel on the palette with a finish so long that one sip is enough (until the 2nd one beckons). I drink it Neat, which I know isn't common for such a high proof but I love it. Once the palette is primed the 2nd sip is much softer. Love cigars with this bourbon, so many new characteristics are introduced when a fresh stogie is added.

OGD 114 is a bargain, tho I doubt that lasts much longer. It might be for my palate Beam's best hooch.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep. the 114 expression has smokey, fennel notes I don't notice much in the OGD BIB.
It's my go to cigar bourbon. That's why I love this hobby so much; I always have two different classes of bourbon expressions: 1- my home pour bourbon usually something mid-high shelf. 2- my cigar lounge bourbon which has to be under $31 so I can afford to share and go through it quicker. It also gives me a chance to experience the mid to lower shelf, more affordable Bourbons, that I normally wouldn't gravitate towards.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's my go to cigar bourbon. That's why I love this hobby so much; I always have two different classes of bourbon expressions: 1- my home pour bourbon usually something mid-high shelf. 2- my cigar lounge bourbon which has to be under $31 so I can afford to share and go through it quicker. It also gives me a chance to experience the mid to lower shelf, more affordable Bourbons, that I normally wouldn't gravitate towards.
Yeah my approach is pretty similar. One must be judicious in these days of ever rising prices. My current favorite "value pour" Is Evan Williams BIB. The higher proof point changes its character a fair bit over the better known black label Evan Williams.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah my approach is pretty similar. One must be judicious in these days of ever rising prices. My current favorite "value pour" Is Evan Williams BIB. The higher proof point changes its character a fair bit over the better known black label Evan Williams.
Funny you mention Evan Williams because the Single Barrel is my next "Cigar Bourbon". I'm looking forward to it but I'm also cautious as I've heard it can vary immensely barrel to barrel

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Brothers. I'm starting this new thread to discuss the wonderful and exciting world of Bourbon Whiskey. Its also gonna be used for any tips that you Brothers have for Bourbons, that have touched you in ways only you can describe. It's for anyone and anything Bourbon, so have it!!! I'm not really a Scotch or Irish Whisky drinker (yet) but if you'd like to contribute a suggestion, I don't think anyone will mind.
1.) What's your favorite Bourbon (currently or ever) and why?
2.) What excites you about it (flavor characteristics and profile)?
3.) Are you usually a Neat drinker or do you prefer adding to it (water, ice, w/e)?
4.) Do you enjoy Cigars with your Bourbon?

No answer is a bad answer, I'm just excited to share in this terrific hobby and pastime with all of you.
Okay I'll bite.
1. Weller 12 when I can find it. Smooth, sweet, a hint of spice and barrel plus it has hints of green apple and caramel.
2. See #1.
3. Almost all of my bourbon I take neat.
4. Absolutely! I really enjoy pairing cigars with whiskey. One of my favorite pairings is Rittenhouse rye with a RASS. Match made in heaven.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay I'll bite.
1. Weller 12 when I can find it. Smooth, sweet, a hint of spice and barrel plus it has hints of green apple and caramel.
2. See #1.
3. Almost all of my bourbon I take neat.
4. Absolutely! I really enjoy pairing cigars with whiskey. One of my favorite pairings is Rittenhouse rye with a RASS. Match made in heaven.
Thanks for the response. I still have yet to experience a Weller. Here in the wee state of New Jersey we don't get much variety in terms of Bourbon. One must really broaden their search for anything other than your common mass produced stuff (knob creek and makers). Certain places have much better variety than others which is where I gravitate towards. Although I have yet to see any Weller, EHT (other than small batch), Elmer T Lee, etc. I am on a waiting list for Stagg Jr and the Buffalo Trace rare expressions. No calls yet

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
1.) Not my MOST favorite, but my favorite right NOW: Blood Oath pact #2. If it was cheaper, I would buy a case
2.) It is a blend, but really well balanced & dynamic considering the 3 bourbons in the blend itself: 7 yr high-rye bourbon finished in port barrels + 11 yr wheated bourbon + 11 yr high-rye bourbon
3.) I only add some drops of water to cut down the high proof/cask strength bottles. I only add ice if it has a serious kick (or if it is over-oaked)
4.) Of course! but I miss them - currently too cold to dedicate an hour + to outside, so enjoying with my pipe now

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Thanks for the response. I still have yet to experience a Weller. Here in the wee state of New Jersey we don't get much variety in terms of Bourbon. One must really broaden their search for anything other than your common mass produced stuff (knob creek and makers). Certain places have much better variety than others which is where I gravitate towards. Although I have yet to see any Weller, EHT (other than small batch), Elmer T Lee, etc. I am on a waiting list for Stagg Jr and the Buffalo Trace rare expressions. No calls yet
we can fix that. . . I have never seen the 12yr, but can usually find the Antique & special reserve with ease

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Hey brother, Bourbon, Scotch and Beer on Route 9 in Lakewood!!! HOLY BOURBON SELECTION!!! They also tend to get some special releases and the guy who runs the bourbon section is all about "talking shop" and usually has a few bottles open to taste!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1.) Not my MOST favorite, but my favorite right NOW: Blood Oath pact #2. If it was cheaper, I would buy a case
2.) It is a blend, but really well balanced & dynamic considering the 3 bourbons in the blend itself: 7 yr high-rye bourbon finished in port barrels + 11 yr wheated bourbon + 11 yr high-rye bourbon
3.) I only add some drops of water to cut down the high proof/cask strength bottles. I only add ice if it has a serious kick (or if it is over-oaked)
4.) Of course! but I miss them - currently too cold to dedicate an hour + to outside, so enjoying with my pipe now
I tried getting into pipe smoking, started off with a corn Cobb (I know nothing fancy) and Frog Mortons Celler. Since I live with non pipe smokers I never could get into it properly (indoors). I'm looking to get back into it when I have a place to call my own. Only this time I'm getting a Savinelli.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey brother, Bourbon, Scotch and Beer on Route 9 in Lakewood!!! HOLY BOURBON SELECTION!!! They also tend to get some special releases and the guy who runs the bourbon section is all about "talking shop" and usually has a few bottles open to taste!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I'm so there, thanks for the recommendation